1997 ford explorer sport starting problem

I have a 1997 Ford explorer sport and every so often it want start... then it will start up....the engine will turn over but nothing the longest it did this was for a week ...I call to have it towed to the dealership, the guy got here and it started right up go figure....they checked it out and found nothing wrong...I hate to get rid of it because I like it and I dont want to pass that problem on to someone. It only has 78,000 miles and still looks new if anyone has had the same problem plese let me know....(THANKS)

Reply to
militaryguy

Big Shoe

Reply to
GClough

I had the EXACT same problem, twice on my 1997.

Have the CRANK SENSOR replaced. It's probably a $300 fix, and its a gamble replacing it without knowing *for sure* that this is the problem. But the dilema you face is that your dealer will not ever be able to diagnose the problem unless it happens exactly to him while its at the shop. Since this is an intermittent problem, the chances are VERY low that the truck will decide not to start when it is at the shop. Meanwhile, you'll be paying the mechanic to look at the truck and tell you there's nothing wrong.

It's a gamble replacing a part that you don't know for sure is broken

- but your symptoms are exactly the same as mine and changing it now will save you money in the long run.

Reply to
mrkennyg

had the same problem on my 97 sport,,,turned out to be a crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor

Reply to
ECMS96