1999 UK Explorer - warning light

Last question - for now ;-) ...

I have started getting a warning light come on. It is on the upper left of the instrument panel - an orangey yellow picture of the car with a line through it. I can't work out what it's warning me about as nothing seems to be amiss and it goes away when I turn off and on again (but comes back on after a little while).

Any handy hints appreciated. Thanks db

Reply to
davidbyeuk

It sounds like the self levelling suspension warning light.

You say it is on the upper left. My UK spec 99T RHD exporer has it on the upper right.

The self levelling suspension is notorious for giving problems, it could be a leak somewhere. There is a air pump hidden above the spare tyre. If the pump runs continuously for too long, e.g. if hoses leaking air, then it shuts down and displays the warning light. You can switch it off. The switch is in the compartment left rear, where the jack is.

It doesn't seem to matter too much if switched off, unless you regularly carry very heavy loads.

I've been unable to locate a leak in mine and have had it switched off for over a year.

BTW when switched off you will have a permanant warning light.

You can download an owner's guide for this model, but I can't remember exactly where, probably Ford US. Probably specifically for LHD US models, but better than nothing

HTH

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

Thanks Trefor, It is actually top right (don't know what happened when I typed that !)

db

Reply to
davidbyeuk