2001 Ford Explorer Sport Tyres

It has been a year since I bought this Blue Sport Explorer, I love it. Yet,... winter has arrived again and my fear of driving it on snow is back!

I am supposed to feel safe in this vehicle but I don't, It slides side-ways so easily when barely touching the gas pedal on wet snowy roads.

Swiching it on 4X4 helps but does not make me feel safe as I am told how SUV's should be.

Is it the tyres (as what a friend of mine suggested)??? It still has the original ones on it, has 100,000km the treads are not in bad shape.

Any one can tell me if all Explorers are like that or something has to be looked after in my car?

Reply to
Pete

I have an 01 Sporttrac 2WD w/ LS and mine does great in the snow, provided you drive like you are in SNOW, not on dry pavement. Easy starts, easy stops, no sudden turns. If yours misbehaves in 4wd, you may need to have it looked at.

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

Reply to
Big Shoe

Thank you Gerry Pierce and Big Shoe for your replies

I should have mentioned that I live in Toronto, travel alot for buisness across Ontario and Quebec, been in many winter snow storms. I am a safe driver with a clean record, had a Chevy Lumina (Front Wheel drive) before this Explorer, It was very stable. I used to laugh at other drivers getting in trouble during storms while I was smooth sailing on Icey roads. Since I got the explorer I started experiencing terrifying moments when on 2 wheel drive, where she would not hesitate to spin the rear tyres the moment I barely touch the gas pedal sliding the rear end to one side or the other. Thank God for his mercy on me that I escaped accidents on both occations, but that sure made me lose all fate in this beautifull looking SUV. These incidents started happening when I had just bought it (second hand) it had 70,000km ==> 41,000 miles on it. The tyres on it are Good Year Wrangler RT/S P255/70 R16 If the stability issue I am having is related to tyres, any recommendations on type of Tyres would be appreceated. I was told to seek narrower tyres, would that be a good advise?

Awaiting readers valuable feed back

Regards

Reply to
Pete