2001 XLT sluggish starting

Does anyone have any advice as to where to proceed with a 2001 V6 XLT with the following symptoms:

-When car sits for extended period of time (ie overnight, or during the day) when I go and start it, it turns over, but seems to hesitate (RPM's around 300 instead of normal 1500) for a second or two, almost like it wants to stall before idle goes up over 1000.

-If I shut the car off immediately after this happens and restart it, no problems. RPM's at 1500 upon start-up before it slowly drops.

- no noticeable decrease in power on the highway. Acceleration seems fine.

- Battery is original. Almost 5 years old, so that may be a concern, although it seems to crank normally when starting

- Wondering if it's a fuel pump or a fuel issue, or if it's electrical (spark plugs, wires, battery) or a vaccum problem.

Car has 44000 miles and is well maintained. Thanks for any input on this.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Does it help if you hold down the gas a bit while starting?

May need to clean or replace your IAC valve. See:

Al Williams

Those are pretty much the exact symptoms I had when I had a leaky fuel injector. And I had almost the exact mileage you have. This floods the cylinder with the leaky injector. When the truck has been off for only a short time, it does not have time enough to flood the cylinder. Only happens after 6 - 12 hours.

If its been doing it a little while, you can pull the plugs and examine them. The bad cylinder will have a bunch of deposits on the plug and some times you will actually smell raw gas on the plug. No check engine lights for this.

Think emissions warranty. I think Ford covers this under the extended emissions warranty (under 50k)- check your warranty manual that came with the vehicle. Then discuss with your dealer. Your dealer will probably tell you that it is covered, but if they find something else you have to pay for the other stuff.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
kroe

same problem here .... 2001 XLT (55K) with start hesitation, no other problems noticable.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Sahupala

Reply to
Tony

Do you mean it was the injector problem? I am curious, did you get it covered by Ford?

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Reply to
Tony