2001 XLT-Thermostat?

Hello, my 2001 XLT 4.0 V6 in the last two days is showing an overheating condition on the temp gauge. Original (guess) diagnosis is a bad thermostat. Wondering what you guys think:

Symptoms:

1) After 5-7 miles of highway driving, temp gauge makes a slow rise from normal to almost redlining on "H". Turning heater on full blast alleviates the problem somewhat (to the point where the gauge is reading 3/4 hot)

2) Popping the hood after the gauge showing "H" shows normal coolant level in the reservoir, and no steam visible anywhere under the hood or near the radiator

3) Now, I've never noticed this, but after leaving the car overnight and coming out in the morning, the temp gauge needle is stuck in the same position it was in the previous day (similar to the fuel gauge). Again, don't remember if the Explorers did this normally or if it should be similar to the oil pressure and battery gauges where they're activated upon start-up.

4) No coolant leaks on the ground after being parked nor any evident of coolant sprayed out under the hood.

Again, the thermostat was my first guess, but it's just an educated guess. Thanks for any help in this.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Karl Childers