Whining Noise on XJR

We have a 1998 XJR that we just purchased - when decelerating from a higher speed, we hear a soft whining or hum and then it goes away when accelerating. Anyone else have this happen on this model - it is the SuperCharged Jag - thanks

Reply to
Melinda Kazmer

It could be a noisy rear end. Common complaint.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

The rear axle has a large ring gear and a relatively small(er) pinion gear. If their spacing isn't exactly correct their mesh will be "off" and they'll be noisy at a specific speed, usually upon either acceleration or deceleration. So if the noise always occurs at a certain road speed, and usually in a 2 or 3 mph range, then it's probably the ring and pinion mesh.

This can be corrected by adding or subtracting shims to move the pinion gear ever so slightly forward or backward for perfect mesh with the ring gear. There may be talk that the gears have already worn in and changing their mesh is not advisable - that depends on the car's mileage - because, yes they do have some wear now. The higher the car's mileage the less advisable it would be to change anything.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Could be backlash in the compressor gears on the supercharger (think blower Bentley) - quite normal & a 'feature'

Reply to
Phil

I have a whining noise in my car - Its the wife and kids !!!

Reply to
stuart adair

I sometimes have a noisy rear end, especially after a night on the beer. And I mean proper beer not that chemical Australian stuff ..

Stu

Reply to
stuart adair

Did you ever consider a muzzle for the wife ?.

Reply to
atec

Tried that but she bit through it. It was then I retreated to the garage away from the verbal abuse.

Reply to
stuart adair

I have a spare halti , just the solution you need .

Reply to
atec

By "chemical Australian stuff", I presume you mean Fosters ? We Aussies don't consider Fosters to be good beer either, that's why we export it to other countries :)

Reply to
Losiho