2002 Transmission "Thunk"

Hi,

I have a 2002 V6 XLT with 4WD. In the last week, it has exhibited a strange behavior. First thing in the morning, when cold (maybe low

50's/high 40's) when I start it and back out of the driveway there is a noticabel noise coming from (perhaps) the front fifferential, transfer case or transmission.

If I coast in neutral there is a definite drag on the drivetrain. If I turn the engine off in neutral or park and restart the problem persists. If I turn the key all the way off, there is a definite release of energy from the drivetrain. If I only turn the key to "off" the energy will not release.

This seems to indicate an electrical issue?

I have to go through the drive/stop/off/start/drive sequence several times and then it will go away. I have tried cycling through 4x4 high,

4x4 low, 4x4 auto thinking perhaps this was a controller issue but to no avail.

The problem goes away after a few cycles (or perhaps fully warming up?).

It is difficult to get to the shop so if this is a simple or common issue I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks to all for reading and replying.

Reply to
neergqj

You have me confused, here. How do you differentiate between "off" and "all the way off"? H

Reply to
Hairy

All the way off is the setting the key is in when it is inserted or removed, and off is the position after starting, when turned off but not removed.

Reply to
jmgreen_

Ok, I understand. I wouldn't think there would be any difference, electrically, between the off position and the lock position, but I could be wrong. It suggests a wiring problem in the column, to me, but that's pure speculation. Hopefully, someone else will have a solution for you. H

Reply to
Hairy

Update:

This morning it did it again. If I accelerate to say 20-25MPH hear the grinding/gear whine, and then put in neutral the whine will stay with the engine on or off, but if I turn the key to "lock" (all the way off) it stops. If I turn the key just 1 click toward on, it starts again after 2-3 seconds and I can repeat this until the car stops moving.

Reply to
neergqj

More update:

Yesterday and today I allowed the vehicle to idle to a warm up, about 8 minutes. So far, no problem. I suspect it may be related to transmission fluid/viscosity issues although the on/off issue still perplexes me.

I'll try a transmission service and see what happens next. The local Ford dealer is known for finding all sorts of things to fix.

Reply to
neergqj