2002 v6 fuel filter replace

Seeing this and the airfilter are on the maintenance schedule for 30K miles, looking at attempting the fuel filter this weekend. The service manual mentions three different type couplings in the fuel system section but doesn't say which is actually associated with the fuel filter r&r; "push connect" and "spring lock" both requiring different tools and a "locking R clip" requiring no tool. Does anyone know which it is or isn't.

TIA

Bill

Reply to
DriveSpy

There are three lines attached to your fuel filter. They are the spring lock variety. I did mine at 30k also. Bought the line disconnect tool for a couple bucks (The tool has two sides 7/16 and

1/2 I believe. Youll need both). I took a shield off the frame first, it made access a whole lot easier. Paul
Reply to
Paul Fidler

Where is the filter located? I had the filter changed at 30k, and now the vehicle's at 43k and I was thinking about changing it at 45k, unless that's excessive. I know the manual said 60k for the next change but under certain circumstances 15k changes are needed.

Reply to
Soflarick

Where is the fuel filter located? I was going to change mine soon, and I haven't looked under the vehicle to see where it is. Also, 15k change intervals, is that excessive?

Reply to
Soflarick

On the left frame rail close to the T-case.... a special tool is required but they are modestly priced, now. If you choose not to bleed off the residual fuel pressure, avoid using an incandescent light. There is a Schraeder valve on the fuel rail that will allow you to bleed off rail pressure. Caution is advised.... gasoline under pressure can turn nasty if we aren't on our toes and don't have our thinking caps on.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I pull the fuel pump fuse and start the engine on my '94. It'll run for a very short time (if at all) until the residual fuel pressure is bled off. You do have to be careful of the fuel in the filter itself, since that can leak out all over you if you're not careful.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

I don't know what the manual says, but to me it sounds too soon. I just recently changed mine at 30K.

Reply to
SizzleMP

I changed my 2002 V6 filter a couple of weeks ago. I was on my back underneath the thing and could have been disoriented and buzzed from the smell of brake cleaner, but I swear mine was on the right side of the vehicle somewhere in front of the fuel tank and near the frame rail. Mine had two of what the manual said are "R clips" on one end and a push connect on the other end. I bought a set of plastic push connect tools for less than $10 and it worked perfectly.

Reply to
DriveSpy