plugs and fuel filter on 2.5L? tips?

Howdy,

My heart just about stopped when I priced the 60k mi service at the dealer for my 01 outback wagon.

They want $510 here to replace plugs, fuel filter, oil change (which I do regularly myself), and do inspections on brakes (which I recently replaced), transmission (replace fluid, but only if needed), air filter (which I recently replaced), rotate the tires (I can handle this too).

The service schedule mentions two other items the dealer didn't mention-- replace brake fluid (i have an idea of what's involved here) coolant (does the dealer do any more than drain and refill?)

...which I assume they'd also do, and maybe the guy on teh phone was just rushed to make a service appointment.

Plugs I started to look at on this, and grabbed some NGK's from the parts stores (NGK V-power's) but some of those areas are kinda tight so I backed off...until I got this price today(!). Any tricks or tools to it to make it easier? Looks like removing the washer fluid reservoir would make the drivers side job easier, but how do those hoses come off--just clamp and yank and try to minimize spillage? And there's some black housing thing on the passenger side of a similar size to the washer reservoir (what is this?) that looks removeable to make getting to those two easier? Confirm or deny?

Fuel filter...never changed one of those before--any DIYers offer the nickel tour? Where is it for one? How do you minimize fuel spillage? Is it tough?

Is it worth taking tour of the service manual on these procedures? Am I better off just coughing up the $510?

Thanks again to all who've been down this road before for taking the time to share the info.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Re. changing the plugs: Scoobymods has instructions for Imprezas which are similar and yes, you have to remove the resonator (think that's what it's called from the passenger side. 2 bolts to remove. That way you have much better access to the plugs. And yes, you pull on the little handles on the wires.

Scoobymods has info on changing the other stuff, too.

Good luck.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Cool thanks for the response Ed. I'm at a loss though as to where to look for the fuel filter. Where do they hide that thing?

Cool...good idea.

I do have a torque wrench...so that's all good advice I can take!

Thanks again.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Fuel filter is sitting up on top, left side between spring tower and firewall. Things are tight for accessing the plugs and you may need to remove the windshield washer tank for a little added room.

There should be a way to release fuel pressure before taking fuel filter off. Would advise to do so but since I've not done this yet, don't know where the typ schrader valve is to do this. Oh, don't be too surprise when removing the plug wires. The boot has to be close to 8" long.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

That's Subaru pricing. Welcome to the club. ;-)

Check your e-mail. I sent you three .pdf files with all details how you can do it yourself. Files are downloaded from Subaru's Info Tech web site.

Voja

Todd H. wrote:

Reply to
Voja

Send me your e-mail address if you want files.

E-mail I sent you bounced back (user not recognized).

Voja

Voja wrote:

Reply to
Voja