2003 explorer----replacing brake rotors

I need to replace all 4 brake rotors on my 2003 explorer. I have never replaced brake rotors on a 4x4. Is it harder? Does the center nut on the rear rotor need to come off?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe096

Depending on the climate you live, they could come off easy or require extreme persuasion, most likely the latter. Use lots of catalyst, PB-Blaster works best in my opinion. Spray it, generously, between the hub and the rotor(s), front and back of each rotor, and give it time to penetrate/work. Try knocking the rotor(s) loose with a big hammer.

On the rear rotors be sure to back off on the emergency brake self-adjuster, accessible by removing the rubber bung/plug on the rear of the back plate(s). Removing the "center nut(s)" is/are NOT necessary.

If the catalyst alone is not enough to free the rotors, try some heat, MAP gas works best in my opinion. Spread the heat in a circular motion around and between the studs, rotor, and hub. Use common sense and make sure the catalyst has had time to penetrate and evaporate, so as you don't start a fire. After applying the heat try knocking the rotor loose with the hammer again, try more catalyst once you notice movement.

Good luck,

Steven

snipped-for-privacy@> I need to replace all 4 brake rotors on my 2003 explorer. I have never

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

There was a recent thread where a guy had both rear wheel bearings go out after having his brakes worked on. I'd go easy with that big hammer. Try a rubber mallet or use a block of wood between the hammer and the rotor...

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Thanks guys. You have been very helpfull. I will give it a try.

Best Regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Well that's where using "common sense" enters the scene. While I agree that knocking the rotors so hard that you damage the wheel bearings is being too aggressive, sometimes the rotors are tough to remove. Especially here in Wisconsin, where there's lots of adverse weather, salt, and rust making removal difficult.

That's why it is important to use lots of catalyst, giving it time to penetrate and do its job. If this doesn't do the trick turn to heat. Either way, it's rare these things slip off as easily as they slip on when new, without the big hammer.

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

You need only remove the wheels and brake assembly. Piece of cake.

Reply to
Stan Vinson