No First Gear - 97 ford Explorer Sport 4.0L

I'm back with yet another problem. Maybe a coincidence, but after my son had the explorer stuck in a snow drift, I now have no first gear in the automatic tranny. I need to start out in 2nd, and then shift into drive - watching the tach and the feel of the shifts, it seems to be working fine. Passing gear is OK, as well. I confirmed it is first gear only by shifting to first, and it also does not work. I just need to know where to start looking - possible wire, connection, etc???

I really appreciate the help I have received in the past from this group.

MoonDogii

Reply to
MoonDogii

What does the fluid look/smell like? Our shop seldom sees much in the way of concerns with the 5R55... but I do know that the forward clutch doesn't like much in the way of abuse...FWIW, IIRC, the (2) position has the trans start out in third gear.... I don't have my apply charts at home right now but my gut feeling is that there is a transmission shop in your future...

Sorry I can't be more upbeat...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim

The fluid looked reddish in color, and I didn't smell anything that smelled burned or overheated - it had the usual odor as far as I could tell.

MoonDogii

Reply to
MoonDogii