93 Explorer 3 questions

Hello; I recently got a 93 Explorer with 84000 miles from the original owner. It is the 4.0 V6. How many miles are these usually good for? What kind of city and highway gas mileage can I expect? The A/C compressor clutch squeals. Can I have it rebuilt or just buy a new one? Thanks!

Reply to
Jalopy Bob

This engine is pretty strong. I got 185,000 on my '92 and it was still running well when I sold it. The transmission is another matter. I had to have the front seal replaced twice when it sprayed all the fluid out.

Mileage is a tricky question because I don't know how or where you drive. I got about 16 city miles and 21 highway miles on my '92. You also don't say whether or not it is 4WD. That does reduce the mileage some.

D>Hello; I recently got a 93 Explorer with 84000 miles from the original

Reply to
Big Shoe

Reply to
Happy Father

I have a 92 with 178,000 miles on it. Still runs like a champ. A concern: The odometers only show 5 digits worth of miles. Lots of SUVs of that vintage will have rolled past the 100,000 mark. Mine only shows 78.000. Did you know the original owner? If not did you try checking the VIN on Carfax or similar?

I hope you got what you think you got.

Trannys have been the biggest problem in that vintage. Radius arm bushings (part of the front end) also got a lot of attention on this board.

Take a look at the link below. There is a lot of good stuff on it. Bookmark for future reference.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I promised you a link. This time I'll send it.

">

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I've read many posts claiming over 300,000 miles with the original engine and a couple over 350,000. Many of these engines needed new heads and/or head gaskets and probably most needed a new intake manifold gasket (or at least retorquing) but I've not read of valve or engine bearing problems outside of a few posts who said they had the engine rebuilt but I'm wondering if it was really necessary. I have 199,999 on my '91 and it still runs great but the trans (second one) is leaking. I also have a '92 with

273,000 miles on it and it runs a little rough when I first start it up and has a few clunks while driving and shifting that I need to fix but still runs strong and just recently passed the "Enhanced" California smog test.

If you keep up with the repairs they usually go a long, long distance.

Reply to
Ulysses

The original owner is a family friend. But I Carfaxed it just to be sure. The miles are legit. He gave me all the receipt for the the repairs including very recent radius arm bushings. I like the way it drives. It feels substantial. The little Blazers feel like tin cans in comparison.

Reply to
Jalopy Bob

Sounds good to me. Drive happy.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I got my 92 about a year ago with 65k miles (from dad). It?s got about

78k miles on it now. My biggest issue has been the brakes. I think the lack of mileage had allowed moisture to get in the brake system somehow...even though he lives in the desert. I eventually had to replace virtually all the components, except the brake lines. Along the way I?ve flushed the system several times. I also recently had to replace the u-joints when a severe vibration developed almost overnight. They were powdery dry. Oh, and shortly after I got it, I had to tighten the front wheel hub spindle nut. (4WD) They were very loose. And finally, yes I?ve replaced the radius arm bushings too. None of this was very difficult.
Reply to
sjwoody

Brakes were a weak point on my '92. Had to replace rotors and pads several times. I think the brakes were a little on the small side for the weight of the vehicle. Later models were much improved (got

85,000 >"" wrote:
Reply to
Big Shoe