94 Explorer Intake maintenance

The intake gasket can not only leak coolant but also have a leak from crankcase/valley into intake area causing it to suck up more oil then usual

Reply to
JohanB

Yes I am sure it is not tranny however, I suspected my modulator was defective several months ago and replaced it.

I just got home after test driving my vehicle for 1 hr. I have finally replaced the lower intake manifold gasket, upper intake manifold gasket and the fuel rail manifold gasket. I replaced the valve cover gaskets. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the coolant. I installed new spark plug wires, new platinum spark plugs and a new Coil pack. I installed new fuel injectors.

Now for the results.... BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE. After I got out of the car just now..I noticed that this was the first time in I do not know how long that I have not smelled coolant. You see I was loosing coolant on a regular basis over the last year. I could always smell coolant however none was left on the pavement or anywhere...eaten up internally. When I had the lower intake off I could see the discoloration of the gasket in a few spots where the coolant was flowing. Time will tell if the coolant leak is resolved and I suspect it has been solved. Spark knocking is present every once in a while but not anywhere like it used to be. I might have some bad gas in this tank full and will fill up with from different location tomorrow. Interstate speeds showed performance increase. It is so much easier to maintain a constant speed now and less effort is required to navigate hills, etc. By effort I mean how far and long I have to depress the accelerator cable.

The old fuel injectors needed to go. They were very dirty looking and had crud on them..a residue if you will plus some dirt. I guess I could have tried to wet soak them with a couple tank fulls of fuel injector cleaner but the way I saw it was that I was in there so I will make the best of it.

Anyway thanks to all who helped.

If anything happens I will post an update....anything negative.

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

Glad to hear you seem to have it all sorted out. If you haven't tried Techroline Fuel Injector cleaner (Fuel additive) you might give it a try. I've used it in several cars I bought with high mileage and it always seems to help as judged by smoother idling, which is often the sign of dirty injectors producing a poor spray pattern.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Congratulations. Whatever doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

Glad to hear it's running good. These engines are notorious for leaking intake manifold gaskets, particularly the lower one. Plus it's awful nice not to have oil leaking from the valve covers all the time.

Any particular reason you changed the coil pack? How much did it cost? I don't think I've read about them failing on these engine.

So, does your 4WD work?

Reply to
Ulysses

When I removed the coil pack during intake gasket project I noticed that one of the terminals had a lot of corrosion on it and the spark plugs wire to that particular post had a bunch of corrosion. WHen I say corrosion I mean a bunch of green and white powdery residue. The whole attitude I have had during this has been , "while I am there go ahead and replace it as long as it does not cost too much." I got a discount from a friend at a local autoparts and got it for $69. I do not think it was failing however I just was in one of those spending moods.

My 4wd does not work because of the automatic hubs. They have been replaced before and have failed again. Cheap parts. I am aware of the manual hubs mod and am debating on whether to spend the money to replace them again or to install manual hubs. The axle spins and all just fine. When I replaced the front rotors, calipers and pads 2 weeks ago I got a chance again to see how cheap the construction of the automatic hubs are again and found myself debating the route I am going to take to fix the issue. Now that the weather here in Raleigh, N.C. is warm again the 4wd issue goes to the back burner again. Fortunately winter this year here was extremely mild and there was never any need for 4wd vehicles. Here is Raleigh that is...not the mountains.

Reply to
Sam

I would have replaced it too.

Just in case you are not familiar the servo motor on the transfer case is another of the common problems on the early Exploders. Usually they just get stuck and need to be taken apart, cleaned real good, and relubed. I have found Vaseline to be very reliable for the little gears inside the servo. There is a fix online somewhere if you are interested for the autohubs but most of us have switched to manual.

I'm in sunny Southern California and last year if you didn't have 4WD you didn't go anywhere. This year no 4WD necessary here either. Last year (speaking of servo motors) a Bronco got stuck in the mud and I went to pull it out and my 4WD would not activate so I had to go home and yank off the servo motor and switch the transfer case by hand. The mud was so deep it covered the Bronco's front bumper and it was in 4 Low and couldn't move.

Reply to
Ulysses

Have you since fixed the servo motor issue?

BTW, It has been almost a week since I replaced the intake manifold gaskets, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, thermostat and other various items. Today I replaced the EGR Valve and now I feel pretty good to say that I have spent all the money I want to on this vehicle for a while. Needless to say all is well. The vehicle is behaving so much more like it is supposed to. Sure is nice to feel confident again that all is well with the motor. Who knows...maybe next week the water pump will fail. Oh well.

Take it as it comes!! Still better than car payments!!

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam