96 Explorer Radio volume cutout

I got up yesterday morning to go to work and turned on the radio and the sound kept on comming in broken. you get sound for a few seconds then dead air. I thought it was the radio station having problems, but as it persisted on both AM and FM and my FM modulated CD player, I think it's the radio biteing the big one.

Is there any known problems other than radio failure that might cause this that is easy to check? How difficult is it to replace the factory radio with another? I could take a quick trip to the junk yard to get another one from an old explorer. Would I have to have a radio from the same model year or would a later version say with the CD in dash also work?

Reply to
mjm