97 5.0 cats

There are 4 cats on my explorer 5.0 and I was wondering if i took them off for some reason, would the computer be all messed up.

Reply to
klb

It would mess up the fuel trims and definitely set the CEL.... we wont delve into why the friggin' things are there in the first place. It may be illegal in your area to remove them, anyway, depending on where you live. I'm sure our grandchildren will eventually feel it should have been illegal to remove them no matter where we live.

Your Ex will have at least 3 O2 sensors. Upstream O2 activity is corellated to downstream O2 activity to monitor catalyst efficiency. These computations are also part of the algorythm used to establish long term fuel trim. What you get may not be what you seek.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Remove them and use MIL eliminators to keep the check engine light off. MIL eliminators can be purchased from any Hot Rod Mustang shop. Removing the cats will do nothing to the computer or related sensors. Advance the timing and use a K & N filter or Air Hog, remove the restrictor from the air box, and enjoy your ride. Never, never listen to anyone who says you cant do this as you 97 will never know if it is 12,000 feet above sea level or 500 feet below. With your computer controlled engine you can change anything and it will adjust. We do this every day for our customers and they love it. Price for MIL eliminators is about $70.00 retail.

R> There are 4 cats on my explorer 5.0 and I was wondering if i took them off

Reply to
Ron