97 Eddy runs hot and gags!

I thought it would be good to post the resolution to this problem I was having. Once again I was going through Grants Pass OR on the hottest day of the year {108!} when it started to buck. I pulled into the Mock Ford dealer in GP at 4:45 pm on a Friday and they plugged me in while the Eddy was still acting up. The fuel pressure was going up and down in cycles so they changed the fuel pump out and it worked! Not a hiccup since. Thanks to the boys at Mock for going beyond the call of duty on a hot Friday at Miller time!

My 97 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 has a summer problem while pulling a ten foot Jayco Pop-up trailer. The car runs fine up to the point where I start up a long hill with outside temps of 90 plus then the engine gags and almost dies. I can floor it and it misses and cuts out but still accelerates. It will keep stuttering even after the road flattens out once it starts. Usually the next morning it's back to normal. It never totally stalls or dies but runs in fits. I think the high temps have something to do with it cause I ran the same rig up the 9000 foot pass outside of Jackson Hole and not miss a beat, however the outside temp is only 60 degrees. I have been having this problem for several years and have even taken it to a dealer while in the throes of this behavior. He thought it was the fuel pump but it's been running ok for years since. I checked the MAF sensor, replaced all 4 O2 sensors and the gas cap. I have heard about ignition pack failure due to high temps and fuel pressure valves and fuel pump relays. Anybody else have these symptoms and solutions? Summers coming! Thanks for any help! Scott Harrison

Reply to
South Fork Harry