97 Explorer 2door "Door Ajar" Light

Hello All I am having some problems with my Explorer. It sat most of the summer (Drive my Firebird in the nice weather) Been running the explorer now for a week or so and had a friend get in the passenger side and he really had to yank on the door. Looked like maybe the seals stuck a bit after not being used for so long. But door works fine. But now I have a Door Ajar light on in the dash, Also the interior lights are always on (I have been pulling #27 fuse so the battery does not die).

I am almost positive it is the passenger side as I can open the drives side and hear the high pitched noise reminding you about youre keys but nothing when i open the passenger side. I seem to recall that there are several switches in the door. I used to see the linterior lights come on if I was to lift the locked door handle. Any Ideas where to look first.

With that fuse ppulled the power windows do not work either so its a pain.. Thanks in advance guys.....

Reply to
Bit-Man

The clues you gave that the door ajar light and the interior lights are on seem to point to a door jamb switch not closing. First thing I'd do is open the passenger door, and with your finger, push the door jamb switch all the way in. If this turns off the interior lights, you've found your culprit. If the lights don't go out, repeat this process with all the other doors until you find the one that turns off the lights.

I don't know if the switch position can be adjusted in or out, but if not, you can stick a wad of duct tape on the door edge, so that the switch gets fully depressed when the door is closed. I used this trick in an '87 Sentra I once had.

In my '96, the chime warning you that the keys are still in the ignition only works with on driver's side door. That is, if you leave the keys in the ignition and open any door other than the driver's, no chime will sound.

Good luck! Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Problem is, the switch is integrated in the latch assy, so it's tough to "push in" to test and they are known to fail in Explorer's and Rangers.

but the door opening sequence should still apply.

Sometimes you can spray a bunch of WD-40 in the latch from the outside, and work the handle a bunch and get it to work again. other than that, you have to pull the door panel, and replace the switch (about $20.00)

good luck!

Reply to
Chief Wiggum