'97 Explorer - Gear shift locks in Park

Having just returned from a trout fishing trip covering some reasonable rough forrest tracks, heavily corrigated, my 97 Explorer auto decided to refuses to release the gear shift from park with the foot on the brake pedal. If I turn off the ignition and set the key to the first position, I can select neutral ok and restart and then move off. I've also noticed that the foot brake is not disengaging the cruise control unless you give it a fairly swift stomp (no the cruise control wasn't on over the rough tracks - I like my conforts but that would be taking things too far). I'm guessing the two event are related and may have something to do with some brake sensor having got rattled? Low 4X4 doesn't want to work either? Sorry if this sounds like a shopping list of faults. Anyone kindly have any advise please?

Reply to
Graham

Hey,

I just recently had the same problem with a 2001 Taurus. Apparently the signal wire from the brake pedal that releases the shift lock can become loose over time and will leave you stranded with no hope of getting your car moving again. I took it to the dealer and they simply connected a new wire in it's place. (Just be sure they use a wire of the appropriate length or you'll be right back where you started from...). Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Tony

Reply to
tones

Do your brake lights work?

Brake light switch is what turns off the cruise. By stomping the pedal you are probly slowing the car more the 5mph which kicks off the cruise.

Also to go into 4x4 low you have to have the truck in nuetral, 0mph and the brakes on. If brake switch is broke your not gonna shift.

Reply to
JaWise

Fantastic reply mate - that was spot on - Fuse 13 was blown - no brake lights hence nothing else either. Many thanks.

Reply to
Graham