97 Explorer switch fix

I thought this information might help someone. Recently the illumination bulb in the fog light switch burned out in my '97 Explorer.

It's the small lamp assembly that screws into the side of the switch with a quarter turn. My Ford dealer did not have one in stock and couldn't find a part number for it. After about 5 days of checking, he informed me that the lamp was not available alone, and I would have to replace the entire switch at a cost of $30! I told him to keep his switch and I would figure something else out.

I went to Radio Shack and found a #7219 12v micro lamp, Radio Shack #272-1092. A package of two cost only $1.60. They are almost an exact replacement for the Ford bulb. You have to remove the old bulb from the screw-in socket, then just feed the leads from the new bulb through, wrap them around the grooves and trim the length. The little blue bulb cover fits right over the new bulb as well. Works perfect.

No big surprise that the dealer new nothing about this fix.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Derman

The dealer would have charged you $60 labor, plus the part cost, for the same fix.

Reply to
DAVMO