Pug 205 1.6 GTI driving lamp and MOT

Hi,

My Pug has a rusty driving lamp.

I have removed the rust from the reflector area and placed silver paper in its place. The bulb no longer has a proper place to fix, but is in the lamp.

The bulb works but the light at present illuminates the rhs of the lamp.

My question is: ' Should I make an attempt to adjust the silver foil in order to improve the illumination or could it be left because the lamp works.

I am only interested in passing the MOT since I never use the driving lamps.

Thanks.

species8350

Not 100% sure but I don't think they have to work for MOT. Check with your tester.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Reply to
Chris

aint, if so spray that on it and that will make it work i used it years ago= on a escort headlight and it passed its m.o.t.

Thanks for responding.

Evidently the driving lamps are not part of the MOT.

Hope my MOT inspector agrees.

Best wishes.

species8350

paint, if so spray that on it and that will make it work i used it years a= go on a escort headlight and it passed its m.o.t.

--=20 Chris

Reply to
Chris

This is an extract from the list of requirements for MOT Lighting test. If we are talking about the lights fitted as an optional extra in the bumper area they appear not to be included in the test as they are not in the list of "required lights".

"MOT Test of Lights:

The headlamps are checked for alignment with a Beam Setter. After first aligning the equipment with the vehicle, the left and right headlamp beams are checked to ensure they are correctly set so as not to dazzle other road users.

All required lights are checked for operation, condition, security. Side lights and headlamps are the correct type and colour dip and aim.

Stop lights, indicators and hazard lights* - are the correct type and colour, do not interfere with each other in operation, driver's tell-tale works with respect to indicators, or there is an audible warning system.

Rear Fog lamps** - must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle tell-tale must work, must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured, must be red.

Number plate lamps - All lamps fitted must be working.

Rear reflectors - There must be two red reflectors fitted reasonably symmetrically, securely attached and not obscured.

  • Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986, but if fitted, must be Tested.
** Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980."
Reply to
Tinkerer

Thanks for the information.

Two MOT inspecters at different garages have told me that driving lamps fitted to the valance do not count towards the MOT.

Reply to
species8350

--=20 Chris

Reply to