97 Explorer XLT stalls when reversing

I've got a V6 SOHC '97 XLT with 161K miles on it. Just recently, I've had problems when backing into my garage. After stopping and going into Reverse, the engine will stall. I've had one incident driving slowly in a parking lot when it stalled as well. I've noticed it's been idling somewhat low lately. It runs fine at speed, the problem seems to be only when driving slowly, or when idling. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about resetting the computer (disconnecting the (-) terminal at the battery) and seeing if that does anything.

TIA, Roel

Reply to
rlascano

Could be a transmission / torque converter problem. If the converter locks up when it shouldn't, even for a moment, it will stall the engine. Check fluid level - after that, you're probably into checking the solenoid.

rlascano wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

The IAC valve probably needs cleaning or replacing. It is responsible for the idle.

Reply to
SizzleMP