99 XLT ABS light on, anything I can check?

Subject line pretty much says it all. The light came on while driving down the freeway. Brakes work fine other than ABS which I haven't tested. Any suggestions as to how to diagnose the problem? Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry

Subject line pretty much says it all. The light came on while driving down the freeway. Brakes work fine other than ABS which I haven't tested. Any suggestions as to how to diagnose the problem? Thanks.

Reply to
Wikked

Obvious things would be to check the inner rotors where the 'slots' are and see if anything is stuck in there on one of them. Make sure the sensors didn't get whacked. Other than this, you probably have a dead sensor. Any competent mechanic should be able to diagnose the sensors quickly.

Reply to
Mark

Yeah, you really need to get a scan to find out what the ABS computer is complaining about.

You COULD randomly guess at what it might be, but a few wrong guesses get's spendy quick!

Although, I will add that I've seen more than a few RABS sensors go out, but not so many that I'd bet the cost of one on it!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Chief and Gerald (with the pooched keyboard) have it right..... you have a malfunction indicator light... it is trying to tell you something..... if you wont listen to it, you might get more than you bargained for.

Reply to
Jim Warman

If you have to, go ahead and pay for the diagnostic to be safe. I did, and like the majority of people asking for information on this subject in news groups and message boards, my rear ABS sensor was bad. Replaced it last week.

1998 XLT 110,000 miles
Reply to
Max Wedge