99 XLT Needs Jumpstart after long drive, but starts normally in the morning

99 XLT - 115k Miles, Orginal battery. After a 1 hr from work commute, the Explorer sometimes does not start after putting gas, or running into a store for a few minutes. I have recieved conflicting reports on the 5 1/2 yr old battery. Local Chevron station said it was bad (and then wanted to sell me a $120 battery) and local auto parts store said it was fine. Car started fine this morning, after problems yesterday. This is a problem I have had for a few months.

Any thoughts?

Vinnie

Reply to
Vinnie

Some thoughts... Tge battery will not charge itself; if it won't start the truck when the truck is hot after running for an hour, and then WILL start the truck after sitting for several hours, the problem probably isn't the battery. Instead, look to the starter motor; the heat soaking can sometimes make them very hard to turn over; in such a case, either shielding the starter motor from heat, or replacing the motor itself, will usually cure this problem.

5 1/2 years is pushing battery life, though.
Reply to
Bill Funk