Another electrical problem

This evening we went to a party for a friend in the 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer (68K miles). It's been starting and running fine, no problems whatsoever. When we went to leave about 2 1/2 hours later, the battery was nearly flat dead. There was nothing left on to drain the battery. I tried jumping it off, but it would not charge enough to crank.

Anyone have any ideas about why the battery would go dead so quickly? I plan to go buy a new battery in the morning and go get the car. Is there something I should check before or after putting a new battery in? I do not have much experience in working on new (computer-type) cars, but I can follow simple direction and read the owners manual.

Please if you have a suggestion, try to put it in simple terms for me. Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John Ahnen

I would test out the alt. You may have driven the battery to die. Also, check the belt and tensioner.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

It's been my experience that when a battery dies of old age, it often does as you describe: run fine, then not start, and not take a charge. To be fair, it usually gives hints that aren't seen as such; slower starts, drastic dimming of lights when starting, for example. Then, it won't accept a jump, because it's shorted internally. Obviously, the cure is a new battery. Good luck!

Reply to
Big Bill

Reply to
Big Shoe

Start with the simplest thing first. Inspect and clean the battery cable connections. If they look good, check the alternator output. Then use an ammeter to see if theres a drain on your battery when the cars off. It's good to rule out all these possibilities before rushing out to buy a battery.

Reply to
Mikepier

Thanks to all for the advice. I did go buy a nw battery today, then when we got home I disconnected it until I can get it into the shop to have the alternator checked. Appreciate the help, and the battery did look to be the original one.

Reply to
John Ahnen