Brake line leak on 91 exp.

I just replaced shoes and wheel cylinder. As I was bleeding brakes I felt loss of pressure while bleeder screw was closed. The line comming out of wheel cylinder looks ok. I can't see where Fluid is leaking from but it is somewhere on drivers side around the rear door area. I'm working in my driveway without a lift.

So before I get in over my head how hard is it going to be to replace this line. My Haynes manual has no info or diagrams. Thanx Sid

Reply to
CRATE XCAPE

This sounds like the steel brake line has rusted through.... I might suggest replacing all the steel lines - at least in the nether regions of the car. A hoist would make the job immensely easier but you could do it on jackstands .

Here in Canada, I don't know of any source for pre-bent lines. There are premade lines available in various lengths that make life quite a bit easier. Follow the original line route as closely as possible making sure the line is well supported so it wont vibrate itself to pieces and that it doesn't get too close to exhaust or moving parts. Select the line lengths carefully ... mixing and matching various line lengths and joining them with unions will keep you from making too many flares..... however, if you have experience and confidence making double flares, bulk tubing is cheaper yet.

HTH,

Jim Warman

If you have a line leaking, you'd find fluid on the ground near the site (or flowing along the frame rail and eventually flowing on the ground). If you don't find fluid on the ground and a leak, you may have a master cylinder that has failed.

Possibly the wheel cylinder is leaking?

Reply to
rakster

I totally rebuilt the brake system on a 1964 Hillman Minx... so even have the tools.

However, a pre-bent custom set for your vehicle will save you lots of time....

Reply to
Robert A. Matern