change transmission fluid

Alright, frustration has set in. I have a '98 Ford Explorer EB edition, V8, all-wheel drive, automatic transmission (didn't know if all this was necessary, but what the hell). A couple months ago, I decided to change the transmission fluid since it had around 72,000 miles on it. I got the parts from Autozone. The box had the filter and gasket together which was great. Anyway, everything went great with the change, but after the change, I had a small leak from the pan. It was more or less a couple drips of fluid on the ground every time I checked under the truck. I made sure the bolts were at the right torque specs and everything, so I thought the gasket was bad. To back up a bit, the original gasket was a rubber type, and the replacement one that I bought was the cork type. Anyway, I went ahead and bought another filter and gasket set to do another change. This time I put RTV sealant on the pan side to make sure the gasket didn't move any while I put it back on the truck. I talked with a couple mechanics before I tightened the bolts, and they said just snug the bolts on tight enough with just my wrist until the veins kind of stood out(sounds kind of weird I know). Needless to say, that's what I did. A couple days later, I went back under the truck to snug the bolts down again (the mechanics told me to do that too). It's been almost 2 weeks since I've done that and I still have a leak. Like I said, it's more or less just a few drips here and there, but I'd rather have no leak at all. I'm thinking my next step will be to order a rubber gasket from Ford and try it again. Before I do that, can anybody please help me out with this one. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

Glenn Smith

Reply to
Nate

Well, first thing you should do is post in Plain Text. :)

That said, you should typically replace a gasket with the same type of original material.

You didn't mention whether or not you tightened the bolts in a star pattern when you put the pan back on. Using a star pattern prevents "slack" from being pushed around the pan lip if you were tightening in a clockwise/counterclockwise fashion. This could cause an opening around the last bolt you tighten down, allowing fluid to leak out. This is where I think your problem could be. And you should also use the rubber gasket from Ford. Using the cork type could be too thin. When you bought another gasket was it the same cork or rubber?

Judging torque by the tendons in your arm is a good way of determining approx 10 ft lbs or so, read that in a repair manual once. The bolts should be snug.

At any rate, try the rubber gasket, and tighten in a star pattern.

Good luck, please post your results. r/

-IanCT

Glenn Smith

Reply to
IanCT

The first time I put the gasket on, I did do the start pattern of tightening. The second time I didn't. Jim, I wish I could've posted something earlier. I just barely put enough RTV on the pan to hold it. I didn't get carried away with it. With that being said, if I have to change it again, I won't use the RTV on it. Good words of wisdom on the vehicle Jim. I'll keep that in mind when I get frustrated with things. Thanks again folks.

Reply to
Nate

With all due respect to Mr. Haynes, it's not even worth the effort to just change the fluid in the pan - you are barely replacing 1/3 of the total volume.

Reply to
IK

I disagree that it isn't worth the effort. Changing the filter is VERY important..

IMO if given the choice of doing a "transfusion" and leaving the old filter in (as many jiffy places do )

or just dumping the pan, and replacing the dirty filter, I'd opt for the latter.

Of course, ideally doing both is the best deal !

Reply to
Chief Wiggum