Check Engine light on 95 explorer

Howdy,

Ford Explorer 1995 XLT Automatic, 2x4

6 Cylinder with 118,000 miles

On long trips (usually 700 miles or so), the check engine light will come on after about 400 miles or so, then go off, then come back on...repeat...

After I finish the trip, and driving around town like normal, no light.

Any idea what this is indicating? (manual says it might be some environmental sensor).

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
flakrat

There are many reasons why the CEL will set...... without a fault code, nobody ain't going nowhere...

Jim Warman

Well, that's not *exactly * true Jim !

Regardless of sensors, fault codes etc, the one and ONLY reason that a check engine light comes on is when

12v is applied to the bulb in the dashboard by the computer :)

NOW.... as to why the computer feels the need to send such a voltage .... Well that's a horse of a different color!

(sorry, just in a pesky mood today ) !!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

hehe, picky picky.

Ok, that brings up another question I had. Is there a way for me, at home, to rig up a connection to my computer to get an error code (or other diagnostic data from the Explorer's on board computer)?

Thanks, Mike

on...repeat...

Reply to
flakrat

Check out

Lots of good stuff, there - been kicking around the idea of an "all make" set up for my laptop to handle the ones our NGS and WDS can't..... you know - those pesky GM and Dodge thingies...

Jim Warman