Fair price for work performed?

Hello everyone. Today I picked up my 96 Explorer after having it in the shop. The total was about $1070, and consisted of getting new tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, replacing front and rear sway bar bushings (with parts I provided) and an allignment. There was apparently a need for some parts to do a thorough front end allignment, since they said Ford doesn't allow for camber adjustment from the factory. The parts added would allow for future adjustment of all 3 things, caster, camber, and toe. This cost is inclusive of parts and labor, and reflects a $50 AAA discount I got because of my membership. They are members of that organization too, and have an excellent record with the BBB as well. This was the first major repair I've done to it, and this all came about from a low-toned creaking I could hear from the front end. Please give me your honest input, if this seems high or reasonable for the work performed. I believe the trustworthiness of the shop has never been an issue. BTW....I also received an additional $30 discount because they couldn't use all the items included with my rear sway bar bushing set. Apparently the size of some smaller pieces were inconsistent with the factory bar, so they couldn't use them. The shop manager agreed to credit me a portion of the labor cost because of this.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Randy

96 XLT

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

Sounds fair, maybe a little lean towards high, but if they do quality work, I'd be happy. Especially with your ball joints and tie rods having been replaced.

Ford doesn't allow for camber, that's why people usually gripe when they find out that they need a camber kit to do their first alignment. Although I have seen people gripe about getting the kit for over $100 per side (maybe that was installed, I dunno) but I went to Ford myself and picked one up for each side and it was about $54 total. Turned out I already had a camber kit on there, just not as elliptical as the one I had purchased. Ah well. Got my $$$ back. :)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't let you adjust for caster, only camber. And toe is adjusted by your tie rod ends.

r/

-IanCT '00 XLT 4WD former '96 XLT 4x4

Reply to
IanCT