Coded Keys - Options

Hello Group, Well I just bought this 2002 X with only one coded key. Have heard only the dealer can make me another key for buck bucks. Is there other options? TIA - Jerry

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Nope. With the current PATS system, you need two working keys to program a third key. If you don't care about the PATS system, you could just tape your working PATS key near the PATS antenna wire and use a plain (no chip) key to run the vehicle. Of course any theif could do the same.

Why didn't you get two keys when you purchased the vehicle?

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Try checking with local locksmiths. But as you fear, it may be that your dealer is the only game in town.

Whatever you do, don't just have one key made (giving you a total of two). If you lose one of the two, you're back in the same single-key boat. If you have at least three, then a loss of one still leaves you with two which allows buying and self-programming future keys at a much reduced cost.

I have noted at my local ACE hardware store that they now identify, sell and cut coded keys allowing you to program it yourself assuming that you have two programmed keys already. The way this seems to work is that you drop your current key in a machine which identifies the type of transponder that's needed. Then they choose the appropriate blank key with proper transponder, cut it, give it to you, then you follow the instructions in your Owner's Manual for programming it.

Good luck.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

I was in the same boat until I asked the salesman to call the previous owner and ask for any spares (luckily they had a set). While waiting I found this site:

I didn't get to try them but it seemed to be a bit cheaper than going through a dealer.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Holcomb

Ed,

That's a very interesting idea! I assume I could just tape it inside the steering column. Of course if it was ever stolen & your insurance company ever found out... :).

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Hey, good to hear all is well now. $90 ain't too a bad lesson. I've thought that in the future if I buy a new vehicle, I'll ask that a 3rd key be part of the purchase agreement. That's also good to hear that some well-equipped locksmiths can create and program keys even if you only have one working key.

Craig (non-coded '96 Explorer but a coded '01 Focus)

Reply to
Craig