96 Explorer Transmission problem

I had a problem where my flexplate broke. The mechanic said that the pump in the tranmission siezed breaking the flexplate. Is it possible for a pump to sieze and break a flexplate.

Reply to
vsby

In an automatic transmission the trans pump is driven off of the torque converter. The torque converter is attached to the flexplate. So if the pump froze up then it could and probably would brake the flexplate, or brake the torque converter.

Reply to
Jarred Jewett via CarKB.com

It doesn't make sense to me that a siezed pump could cause damage to a flexplate. THe flexplate is attached to output shaft from the engine. The t/c is attached to the flexplate and drives the pump. The engine torque has got to be in the neighbourhood of about 180 h.p.The only reason for the pump is to suck up trans fluid from the pan. The fluid pressure in a trans. runs between 50 to 80 lbs.I really don't see how it is mechanically possible.Pls. correct me if I am wrong.

Reply to
vsby

It actually does matter as you don't just throw parts into a vehicle without determining what the root cause of the problem is or your just going to have the same problem occur again.

Reply to
vsby

Reply to
Rob