Dealer being reasonable?

Was just hoping that someone might have an opinion as to whether my dealer might be trying to take advantage of me. Dropped my 99 Explorer XLT V-6 SOHC (69,000 miles) off at the dealer this morning for what I thought was a slipping serpentine belt. Calls me a few hours later and tells me that it was actually the pulley and arm (???) that controls the tension in the belt and that it would be about $375 to fix. OK, I think to myself, seems reasonable and I recall something similar on a car I owned previously.

Then he tells me he noticed that I need new stabilizer links ($170) and tie rod links ($200). Not what I was expecting, but it didn't seem totally unreasonable given the age and mileage on the car. But what made me start to question his honesty was when he told me I needed a new air filter, transmission/differential fluid change, coolant flush, etc. I've been religious about getting major services done at a Ford dealer every 15K miles, so I know a lot of that was done at the 60K mile checkup. He backed off on those items in a hurry when I mentioned that the 60K service had been performed by their sister (same owner) dealership in another town.

But the fact that he brought it up makes me question his overall honesty and the need for the stabilizer links and tie rod end links. Anyone have an opinion about the liklihood of those needing replacement given the age/mileage of the vehicle? Most of my driving is of the "short-trip" variety in NYC suburbs rather than highway. Thanks!

Reply to
brownkt

Here's what I'd do: Approve the serpentine belt repair plus pulley and arm. Its likely a legitimate repair job. Do not approve the stablizer links and tie rod links based on your distrust.

Take your vehicle to the other dealership next time you're doing a basic oil change, and ask them to look at the tie rod links. Suggest the last place you asked for a oil change told you they needed replacement (imply a 3rd party, not a Ford dealership). If the dealer agrees with that assessment, its probably legitimate, if not you know who to trust in future.

Unfortunately until you find an honest mechanic you have to play these machiavellian mind games. You can also take the down time to do your own research, confirm what the symptoms of problematic rod links are and try to diagnose yourself.

Note: suggesting air filter replacements is second nature to most dealers, it doesn't qualify as a scam but its doubtful he actually checked.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
burnsdavidj

Stabalizer links were part of a recall (don't know if your's is involved, if it was you would have received info in the mail) during the Firestone tire recall. Something about the link bolt possible breakage.

If by tie rod links they mean tie rod ends, replacing these on my truck cured a front suspension knock over bumps issue.

Reply to
Fred 2

I don't know how much Ford gets for new tensioners, but NAPA has them for about $60.00. Assuming Ford gets $100 for them, the dealer is charging $275 labor for a half an hour job. I'd go somewhere else. H

Reply to
Hairy

"Hairy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I'd second this. Tensioner and belt should be about $50 total at a discount parts house. Labor should be 1/2 hour max (I can't imagine the book time is more). Total cost

Reply to
Clark

Reply to
Hairy

I had a Ford dealer tell me I needed all new radiator/heater hoses. The ones in there were about a week old. This was when I was getting a bid for a rebuilt transmission. I have not been back since.

I had a mechanic I used to go to (I moved since) who, every time he walked through the door, had another $600 worth of repairs he'd found that I needed. For the most part I already knew I needed some repairs or I would not have been there. But hey, that's how he makes his money. On my 15 year old car I'm sure he could find something wrong with just about everything.

Reply to
Ulysses

"Hairy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Even if the parts were a hundred (and they aren't - check around), that doesn't justify a dealer charging $375. No way, no how.

Reply to
Clark

Great advice. Thanks very much everyone!

Reply to
brownkt