Give my Caprice a Little Rumble!!

I was thinking of removing the resonator (the muffler like unit near the tailpipe) and going with a piece of straight pipe to give my 92 Caprice a little rumble.

Is this likely to make any difference good/bad or should I just replace the muffler (in the middle of the car) with a Flowmaster or something similar?

I'm not looking to rattle windows, just a little more noise to make me feel better :)

tia

P.S What does the resonator do anyway, aside from resonate of course?

Reply to
Walter

I tried removing the resonators 35 years ago with my 1967 GTO. It didn't do much of anything that I could tell. So, I put them back on and replaced the mufflers themselves with Thrush "glass packs". Those made a loud, but mellow/throaty sound. A little loud for my tastes these days though. Also, the constant monotone rumble sound when cruising on a road trip about drove me nuts. But is sure sounded great when "squirreling around"!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Yea i just found that out :( I pulled the resonator from the rear of the Caprice and I don't hear/feel any difference :(

I put it back...

I think I'm going to go with a Flowmaster muffler in the middle of the system and seeing as the cat converter has about 300k on it I think i will replace it at the same time as well.

Walter

Reply to
Walter

Have fun!