- DSCF4399.JPG (0/2) Spare Trans Part

I'm hoping somebody has seen this before. I was performing a 60K mile service on my 2002 4.6L Expedition automatic transmission-fluid, filter and gasket. The transmission is a 4R70W, which I believe is also used with the Explorer 4.6L V8, which is why I'm posting to this group. When I dropped the pan I heard something rolling around in it. I've attached a pic of the part. Small bobbin like plastic piece with an O ring, about 1.75" long. I stared at the tx for quite a while without figuring out where it had come from. The tx shifts fine, before and after the service, but I'd sure like to get the part back where it belongs. Anybody have any ideas?

Another question. 1996 Explorer, 4.0L V6, 127K miles. Engine runs great except at 2K RPM, or about 40mph, when I'm not accelerating. At this time it will "hesitate" for lack of a better word. It does not feel like an ignition miss. If I accelerate, no problems, but it tends to not run smoothly with a steady gas pedal. Plugs and plug wires are new, and I've run several iterations of fuel injector cleaner through it. No codes on the OBD-II. I also recently cleaned the MAF with no change.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
<brian.thomson

Sounds like a plug for the dipstick hole thats pushed into the pan on assembly. All it means is the pan has never been dropped before. Not needed, throw it away.

Reply to
jackddg22

That makes sense, it's the same diameter as the dipstick hole now that I think about it. That leads me to believe that the previous owner probably did not perform the scheduled 30K mile trans service. I bought the vehicle with 42K miles.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Brian

Reply to
<brian.thomson