Expedition Lemons

snipped-for-privacy@pipping.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I see you ignored the camry example, why is that? because it disproves your residual theory?

Reply to
Herbie

No, because, as I said, it's only one part.

But, like I said, you won't care, because you need to make trouble to validate yourself.

Reply to
bill

Herb, it is you that has crawled upon a pedestal and announced your presence here in RAMFE.... that you might share your vastly superior wisdom with us, the great unwashed masses..... "los commistados", if you will. So you would lead us out from the valley of iniquity and show us the great fruited plain of foreign car ownership.....

When, in all honesty, most would just be happy to see your backside slithering out the door. This is a newsgroup by and for those owning Explorers and similar vehicles. The extent of your assistance to someone seeking help with a problem is "Sell it....". These folks would like some help and you offer up rhetoric...... tedious rhetoric at that.

I could not care less how you feel about me, Herb. And, truly, your personal life is of little interest to me other than to say that I wish you'd get a personal life...... perhaps the act of nurturing face to face friendships would free you from the drudgery of your preaching. You are much like a billboard on a scenic route..... nobody really cares what the message is but they're pissed about it cluttering up the view.

Given my line of work, I can assure you that every manufacturer has produced vehicles that they wish they hadn't. However, I buy a vehicle for ME.... NOT for the next owner. I.... ME..... MY. If I want another Explorer, I see no reason to look at other vehicles (and, given the service mine has delivered thus far, I see no reason not to buy another Explorer come time....). If I want "something like" an Explorer, then I will look at similar vehicles and I will compare apples to apples when doing so. I would buy the one that has the feel, look and options I desire and I wont base my purchasing decision on something as ethereal as current resale values. Even you would have to admit that resale values in five years time may be quite different from what they are now. Let's face it, this is a vehicle and not an investment. It's going to depreciate no matter what I do. Ergo, I will steadily lose money in the car I want and not in the car someone else wants. Are you catching my drift here, Herby?

I have, in the past, driven japanese vehicles. I found the fit and finish to be no better than North American offerings, maintenance requirements are no different, many aren't built with 6 footers in mind, each of them had their own pattern failures. Additionally parts and service outlets are more plentiful for domestic manufacturers. (Let's not forget that one reason I have an Explorer is that it is full body on frame construction).

Traditionally, jap engines have been higher revving.... that translates out to no lifting power, Herb, and no lifting power at low rpms is going to leave you with a long, long walk to get you close to a cell phone tower. In our area, people depend on tough, hard working 4X4s in their daily lives... these people usually decide on domestics. Granted, there are many that have opted for jap makes but these are little more than driveway fluff with the only requirement being all wheel drive peace of mind while navigating Alberta winter roads.

In all honesty, if the folks on RAMFE really wanted driveway fluff, you'd be talking to them on some Subaru NG or such.

Amusing that you should find someone with a difference of opinion and the where-with-all to express it as self-important on one hand, whilst you and your nearly seasonal barrage of useless, unrequested "information" should be accepted as gospel, impartially and even-handedly delivered, free of agenda or ulterior motive. Herb, most of the help requests here are for vehicles well out of warranty - this should give an important clue that they are either not of a mind to purchase the latest and greatest from the land of the rising sun or they are not in a financial position to purchase........... OTOH, I have heard of dealerships "firing" customers they find vexacious or hell bent on remaining dissatified no matter how sweet the pot.

Herb, if you don't like Ford products, don't buy Ford products.... it's simple, it's plain and quite crystal clear. At the very least, why not show a little respect for the rest of humanity and pack up your soapbox and find a different street corner letting the rest of us get along with our tedious little lives driving our substandard pieces of crap.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Herb... if I wanted a Camry I certainly wouldn't be looking at Explorers, would I? Now, let's carefully flip that coin over and look at the backside....... son of a gun - it says I want an Explorer and why in Gods name would I be looking at Camrys?

Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:UKsYa.45304$ snipped-for-privacy@news0.telusplanet.net:

jimmy, try to follow the threads...the camry example was used to disprove bill's theory that the explorers had low residual values due to high sales volume...nothing about you or your personal wants here jimmy....

Reply to
Herbie

Try again. What I said was that sales volume is one of the factors determining resale value. The fact that you have to lie (or admit that you can't read, whichever) to try to make your point only further demonstrates your intense need for attention.

Reply to
bill

snipped-for-privacy@pipping.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

sorry, i blended his two phrases "superior intelligence" and "vastly superior wisdom" together...

I guess the best you could do was highlight minor phrase differences rather than refute my positions. Shall I highlight all your typos??

Reply to
Herbie

I suspect that one of the biggest reasons for low resale value of Explorers (and many other domestic cars) is the proliferation of rebates and low (very low) interest rate loans. I can't timagine buying a 2 or 3 year old Explorer for the same monthly payment that would get me a new one.

As for the superior resale value of import cars - it is dropping as well. At least in the case of Camrys, people have the impression that they have superior durability. As far as I can determine from the Toyotas I am personally familar with this is largely a myth. However, it is a widely believed myth, which makes it as good as the truth as far as resale value is concerned. However I see a lot more 15 year old Fords on the roads, than 15 year old Toyotas, so I have to wonder where the myth got started. Of course it wasn't all that long ago that some people believed VW Bugs lasted forever as well. In that case, I believe it only seemed like they lasted forever.....Sort of like it seemed to me that my old Cressida lasted forever (and it was in the junk yard after less than 12 years).

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Youy haven't disproved anything, other than that your reading comprehension sucks. Read that again, and you'll see that I said (here, I'll quote it for you): "This, all by itself, lower resale values quite a bit; probably more than any other factor." Most who can read will see that this saying that the number of units sold will have a great effect on the resale value of used units, and it does. Bringing up a counter example doesn't disprove that, it only points out that it's not the *only* thing that lowers resale value.

Wanna trry again? Is this the real type of attention you want: getting spanked?

I see. Being right is, to you, splitting hairs.

Go get that lampshade.

Reply to
bill

No, what I did is point out that you're functionally illiterate.

Go get that lampshade.

Reply to
bill

Jim, Front end noises and the feeling of something not quite right led me to take it to a local repair shop where I know the owner. He came back with worn out ball joints. I took it to the dealer and gave them the same symptoms, while not mentioning the diagnoses I already received. They came back with "ball joints are shot", and replaced them as a warranty repair.

This is my wife's vehicle. She would like another large SUV, but there isn't much out there except GM and Ford. I tried to talk her into a Porsche Cayenne (which I would drive) but no go. So back to a Sedan, and BMW is the best I've owned to date. She would rather go with a Sedan than a "cramped SUV wannabee." That's her call. This time the make is my call!

Reply to
Kevin Brown

snip

bullshit, your hypothesis blows....theories or suppositions either work or they don't...I proved yours does not....accept it and admit you were wrong....clearly volume does NOT "lower resale values quite a bit..." something else is at play here, such as poor perceived quality and 0 % financing (att'n Ed: WRT to 0% financing, while I agree this will affect used car pricing, Explorer resale was poor even prior to the days of 0%)

You are such a twit, try night school then we can talk...I thought fordboy was slow but you take the cake.....

"spanked?" remind me bill, you are how old?

H.

Reply to
Herbie

snipped-for-privacy@pipping.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Your attempt at obfuscation is failing miserably...Try refuting my arguments for a change.....

Reply to
Herbie

Yeah, they're easy to change when your agenda is that important to you, isn't it?

If I can find the time, I can find who you (and "Blade") really are as well. Want me to try?

Except that the vehicle is better, according to Edmunds, Consumer Reports, ...

You tell me. You're the one that bought a truck you hated.

Before or after your hourly tug?

I guess you missed the "lease" part. DUH. It's paid for by my company, as I've told you about 13,756 times before. It takes a while to sink in, doesn't it?

You're all by yourself in your opinions around here, in case you haven't noticed *that*, either.

Seek help. You really do need it.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

It's funny how *that* seemed to shut you up...

Reply to
JonnyCab®