Explorer 2000 - Automatic Transmission 5R55E

My Explorer 2000 EB has 5R55E automatic transmission. I have about 140K miles on the vehicle.

For the last few weeks I have noticed that the transmission does NOT shift smoothly when shifting up out of 2 nd gear, it usually happens when starting after the vehicle is un-used for 6 hours or so, once the vehicle is on the road for 20 minutes or so, this problem goes away.

The fluid and filter were changed about 18 months ago as a matter of maintenance (no issues). About one year ago I had the same problem develop suddenly and for the first time, I added a container of trans fluid conditioner and it went away. The vehicle is well maintained and there are no other issues. I do not want to keep adding conditioners without having some understanding as to what am I dealing with.

Please advise.

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Netman

Have you had it scanned for codes? It may be the "2-3 flare" issue common on the 5R55E. There is a Ford TSB on a repair but you need to rebuild the tranny to do it (any decent tranny shop should know about it). Lots of info on the net about this one, here are some good links:

Rebuild it yourself (yikes!):
Al

Reply to
Allan Williams

Thanks Al

The 'Check Engine' light never came on.

I have a device that I can attach to OBDII connector and it can dynamically monitor for any trouble codes, even if transient.

Reading through the links, what I have understood is that it is a leaky Solenoid #2 that delays upshift into 3rd gear.

I am in eastern PA, anyone has any recommendation for a reliable tranny rebuilder and a guess at the cost ?

How urgent is the repair ?

Thanks

Matt

|Have you had it scanned for codes? It may be the "2-3 flare" issue common |on the 5R55E. There is a Ford TSB on a repair but you need to rebuild the |tranny to do it (any decent tranny shop should know about it). Lots of info |on the net about this one, here are some good links:

|> For the last few weeks I have noticed that the transmission does NOT shift |> smoothly when shifting up out of 2 nd gear, it usually happens when |> starting |> after the vehicle is un-used for 6 hours or so, once the vehicle is on the |> road |> for 20 minutes or so, this problem goes away. |>

|> The fluid and filter were changed about 18 months ago as a matter of |> maintenance |> (no issues). About one year ago I had the same problem develop suddenly |> and for |> the first time, I added a container of trans fluid conditioner and it |> went |> away. The vehicle is well maintained and there are no other issues. I do |> not |> want to keep adding conditioners without having some understanding as to |> what am |> I dealing with. |>

|> Please advise. |>

|> Thanks |>

|> Matt |> |

Reply to
Netman

The lack of codes may indicate this isn't your issue, but at high mileage I would get it diagnosed. Another thing to verifiy is that you use Mercon V tranny fluid ONLY. Don't use lesser oils or "conditioners". You may want to replace all of the tranny oil when you get it diagnosed if they used the wrong kind.

Not sure how urgent, although you could be stranded if it goes. I really don't know more that what I've read about (my 5R55E is still going thankfully). I would phone around the tranny shops and see if they know about the issue, maybe check more on the "RangerStation" forum for more advice.

Reply to
Al Williams