97 Explorer brakes-rear

Most likey pads were cheap materials. Have you replaced the rear rotors? I could not get mine off no matter how I tried Disconnected emergency brake etc. Never got them to come off. Some secret. If you know how let me know.

Reply to
Red Jama

Just replaced the original rear's on my '98 EB AWD Explorer. I had to soak the rotors thoroughly with my favorite penetrate, PB Blaster, then applied plenty of even heat around and between the studs. They finally broke loose with plenty of persuassion :o)

If applicable, don't forget to completely retract the emergency break shoes in using the star adjuster through the adjustment/inspection hole in the back plate before you start breaking the rotors loose.

Last summmer I did the original front's and they only required a good soaking with 'PB Blaster' and some persuassion to break loose, but these rear's were a real treat...

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

I have a 1997 Eddie Bauer AWD 50,000 miles. I went to my service station today for a inspection and was told I have the original brakes. I bought the car 2 months ago. I have been using the same shop for 10 years and trust him when he first told me that I needed brakes all around. After about a half hour he called me back and said when he went to pull the rotors off to cut them he could not get them off without a big struggle. After he did get them off the emergency brake parts fell apart. I really believe that this is a problem with all Ford Explorers.

Reply to
Anthony Viviani

I just change my back rotors and back pads on 1997 XLT. The back pads went before the front, don't ask me why, cause I don't know. Anyway, the rotors actually came off easily. Just unscrew the caliper two screws, remove the caliper, then put the car in Neutral and pull on the rotors. Mine slid right off.

Reply to
Justin Keller

I replaced my rear rotors first at 38K miles. I now need fronts and rear rotors at 68K. Did you replace your rotors with OEM (I think they're Bendix parts), or did you opt for some type of after maket drilled or slotted rotors?

Jerry

Reply to
jerry