Please Help with Invoice from Local Auto Repair, Charged for Unneeded Parts?

Hi All, I'm hoping y'all can all help me check an invoice I received from my local auto repair shop, I had some work done and want to make sure I wasn't charged for parts I don't need. The work was done on my 2000 Chrysler Town and Country with 49,240 miles on the odometer. I was having a problem where there was a heavy rubbing noise coming from the front end which could occur when the van was being driven but also when parked without the motor running.

Front end parts that were replaced: lower ball joints at $110 sway bar links at $124 quick struts at $700

The total labor charged is $675 which includes the change of the serpentine belt. It's not the labor or the price of the parts I have a problem with, just wondering why they had to replace three different sets of parts, I can see one or the other part causing the problem but all three (sets)? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

Dan G. in CT

Reply to
Dan G.

  1. Why would a vehicle with less than 50K miles need new suspension parts?
  2. Doesn't CT law require them to give you a quote first? If they had told you it was going to cost this much, would you have said, "Yes", or would you have sought advice from a different repair shop?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

" Why would a vehicle with less than 50K miles need new suspension parts?" My thoughts exactly. This shops treated me fairly in the past and have a good reputation. I did tell them to go ahead w/the work as I needed the van ASAP, I'm disabled (van has wheelchair ramp) and needed the van to get to/from an important doctor appt.

I forgot to mention the ramp mods to the van in my earlier post, maybe that's what caused the parts to start failing sooner than expected?

Dan G. in CT

Reply to
Dan G.

Those parts prices seem kind of high. I would guess that the "quick struts" mean that they come ready to go, so the springs don't have to be transferr ed to the new ones. Where I live, that much for labor, would represent abou t 8 hours of work. I checked parts prices on Rockauto.com

Reply to
greybuck