fixing rust spots

This is on a 92 XLT.

With 170k+ on the odometer I am not motivated to putting a lot of money into fixing up the body but...

There is significant surface rusting showing up on the roof. This is at some of the folds and creases that stiffen the roof or provide rain run-off channels. Are any of the auto parts stores touch up paints suitable for this? Do they have a decent primer?

I have recently refinished the door of a refrigerator using white Rustoleum over Rustoleum's primer. It came out good.

The Explorer is white and I realize that there are lots of shades of white. I am more interested in preservation than cosmetics at this point and besides you have to be pretty tall to see the areas from the ground level.

What do you think? Touch up paint or Rustoleum?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I like the rustoleum. I just did the hood, albeit only spots across the front edge and in black. A couple coats of filler primer and then a light sand with some 400, rustoleum gloss black and it looks new. A little polishing compound and you wont even be able to see the transition.

Good luck

Reply to
Mastermech

"Charlie Bress" wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The best thing is a rust nuetralizer; this jell is brushed on and it oxides all the rust and seals it. I think you then lighly sand it, primer and paint.

You can find Naval Jelly in any autostore.

I also used some spray on simular stuff a while back and it worked just as well.

Rust will always come back if all you do is sand it off.

Reply to
Lt.Fuzz