Ford Explorer 1998 Eddie Bauer Trailer hitch.

Is it possible to add a hitch tho this vehicle !?!?

Many thanks,

Reply to
JW

Yes, the step bumper is already rated as a Class II hitch capable of 3000 lbs pull. Just add a ball.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

What about connecting it to the SUV's lighting system !?!?

Many thanks

Reply to
JW

Behind the driver's side taillight you will find a connector harness. Go to Wal-Mart and buy the trailer lighting kit from Hopkins that matches your model for about $15-20 and that will insert there and give you the plug to attach to the trailer on Explorers that came with "tow prep" (virtually all of them, I think). The Explorer is already equipped with the coversion to combine the separate amber turn signals and the brake light that the trailer needs.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

This has to do with their lawyers and the Explorer/Firestone tire issue. Search back in this forum and you will long discussions on this stupid policy.

Reply to
Al Williams

Go to your local Ford Dealership, service counter and have them order you a "pigtail" for connecting a trailer plug. I went all over trying to find anyone to install a hitch and wiring, with no luck. Which actually saved me a lot of $$$. Did the wiring myself in 10 minutes and installed the reese hitch in 30 mins.

Reply to
shizznick