Gas Fill-up

When filling my 2000 XLT the auto shutoff handle stops before the tank is full. I can ususally (slowly) add anywhere from 2-4 gallons. I usually run out of patience before it gets full. Is there something wrong or is this a characteristic of the model?

Thank You,

Reply to
txgizmo

There is an air "dome" built into the tank to allow for gasoline expansion. Cramming every last drop of gas into the tank can allow raw gasoline into the evaporative emissions system, renderring it useless and even damaging parts

HTH

Jim Warman

Same scenario on my '95. Holds about 4.5 gallons depending on dispensing pump's sensitivity, creating first shutoff.

When vehicle was new, I thought I had obstruction in neck of tank filler tube or a bad fuel sending unit. Service manager drained tank, dropped and replaced sending unit/pump. Measured drained gas and refilled. Then we went together to a gas station. There, I squeezed in 4.5 gal above what the owners manual said.

Service manager was amazed and could find nothing in his factory correspondence prohibiting the overfill practice and said to go ahead and do it if I had the patience. It is a big time waster but gives an extra 80 miles or so on a fillup. Also ends up spilling a bit of gas if not careful at the final topoff.

jrb

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>When filling my 2000 XLT the auto shutoff handle stops before the tank

Reply to
John Bachtel

Your service manager was indeed wrong, John. Evaporative emissions are a big cause of ground level smag. As I had mentioned, the "head" space is designed into the tank and has been around since the 1970s.

This service manager should be severely chastised for both not understanding at least the basic function of the EVAP system as well as for misdirecting his customers without checking his facts.

For a simple explanation of the EVAP system, go to

and look about 2/3rds of theway down the page. For something more in depth, look at

Jim Warman

Good point Jim, Still have the Explorer and will heed your advice. Emissions testing is mandatory here in GA and no problems to-date.

Our '04 Honda Pilot cites the very same reasons you stated, for not "topping off". We haven't tried and I have no idea what the "head space" might be.

BTW, both vehicles are great!

jrb

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to