91 auto 4X4 EB explorer elec windows

Ok... One last time... how do you get to and fix the electric windows on an explorer? I vaguely remember something about having to drill to get to a bolt or something....help?

Rolando

Reply to
Manso

Never Forget

AbitRip

I repaired all four windows on my 91 EB 4x4 a few years back.

Start by reviewing this web site:

You can ingore thefirst section by Jeff Wheeler, the last three sections are the importantones. When you finally get the electric motors out of the door, open up thegear head by removing the cover plate; this is where you will most likelyfind little pieces of ground up plastic mixed in with the lubricatinggrease. Clean out the plastic bits & pieces (which were once bushings) andreplace them with new plastic bushings or even steel ball bearings. Theobjective is to make a loose connection between the center drive gear fromthe electric motor and the outer driven gear which moves the window linkage.The sloopy fit is there to allow the electric motor a little room to "spinup" before it has to do the work of moving the window. Dont forget to add more grease before you replace the cover on the motors gear housing.

Mike

Reply to
Tiger