Transmission Shift Indicator problem

I don't post much, mostly because I see answers to some of the issues that come up and what I wonder about can mostly be found in the Google Archive, but I do have a question I haven't yet seen an answer to...

When you shift into gear, that little sliding needle on the transmission position indicator (P R N D 1 2) seems to be out of position. In other words, when I shift over three places to Drive, the needle goes over to the 1 position. Is there a way to fix this problem so that the needle points to the proper position? Or rather, is there a way to fix it that doesn't entail taking the entire dashboard apart?

Before anyone rags me on this, I know where the positions are, but this little issue is just plain annoying. I kinda like everything in its place...

Thanks folks!

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

You didn't say what's the vehicle... On most Fords with a column shifter, the indicator is spring-loaded and pulled by a wire or nylon thread. The thread is anchored to a clamp, placed around the shifter. The initial position (Neutral, I believe) is adjustable by loosening a screw and slightly rotating the clamp. Remove the shrouds below the steering wheel and look around; it will become pretty obvious. But be careful - the control thread is thin and breaks easily...

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Well not knowing what kind of vehicle...... But if it is an Explorer and its a '99, then it is real easy to fix. Without posting the exact way to fix it (which reads I don't remember the exact way) but get a Haynes manual, which you need anyway. It took me about 10 min to align everything up correct, no big deal. But the manual does help!

/Richard

Reply to
Cedartown Electronics

You know, I thought for sure I said which one, but I guess I didn't. Sorry about that.

'95 Ford Explorer Sport.

If, by any chance, anyone has any vehicle-specific info, now that I've been reminded to say which one... LOL

I hope so. The first guy that responded mentioned a control thread, and I am now a little nervous.

I think I have a Haynes Manual for this vehicle. Something to do on a rare day when I don't have anything else to do...

Thanks!

-
Reply to
Nomen Nescio