Michelin tires for Camry?

Ready to replace the Michelin MX4's that came with my '99 Camry 4. Quite satisfied with the balance of traction, ride, comfort and overall performance. (They have a Treadwear Rating of 420.) However, Michelin has now changed their lineup of passenger car tires and Harmony seems about the only choice (do not want Directional tires like the Hydroedge). The Harmony's have treadwear rating of 680 and don't seem to have full depth siping whjch has always been a feature of Michelins. This suggests to me that these might be a long life tire, but harder and slippier than the originals and that , I don't want.

Any experience with these tires and any alternate suggestions?

Thanks, allan

Reply to
Allan

Allan,

I have the Hydroedge, which you've already stated you do not want.

You might check

and read both their and user reviews on various Michelin products.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have heard issues of tire noise on the hydroedge.

Any reason why you don't want directional tread designs? If your answer is that they wear out fast, then your alignment is out of wack.

I put a set of Harmonys on my Buick and they are great. They are a S rated tire and Toyota prefers T, H, or V rated tires (on 2002 models.. your as well I believe)

I would probably go with a set of Goodyear ComfortTred tires as they are T rated, very quiet, and give a good ride. Problem is that these comfort laden tires turn your handling into mush. You could try

and other sites to see what you like. Toyo makes a Proxes TPT and Yokohama make a AVID H4s tire that goes 100,000 km (60,000 miles) and make the handling better.

Allan wrote:

Reply to
Car Guy

I have a pair of Harmony's on my 97 Camry for about 4,000 miles. Very smooth, good in the rain and quieter than the Dunlops I was using. They claim to be 80,000 mile tires..Local NTB tire shop tells me othere Camry owners like them. Look at the reviews in Tirerack.com also.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I put Goodyear ComforTred Assurance on my Audi A4, but I put on the H-rated variant. So far, I am very impressed with the handling.

The car used to have V-rated Goodyear Eagle RS-As and at first, the new ComforTred's seemed like they were 'wandering' a bit, but after a few thousand miles, that seems to have gone away.

For me, they are quiet and very smooth.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I put Michelin X Radial on my 97 Camry 4. Got them from Costco for total of less than $300. I am very pleased with their handling, noise and ride properties.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yokohama Avid Touring have full depth siping, comparable treadwear rating, smooth quiet ride and good handling, reputation for quality tires, plus a lower price.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Thanks for the input. Think I'll go with the ones from Costco as they seem pretty much the same tire as the Harmony but at a better price.

Allan

Reply to
Allan

Went to my local retailer to get the Yokohama AVID H4s and they didn't have those in stock. I ended up putting Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus H rated tires on my 2002 Camry LE V6 and the car drives soo much nicer on the highways. No more wander, it is very quiet and stable and feels like those upsale german cars with stiff handling. It turned my mushy family car, into something more fun to drive. Consumer Reports rated these tires as quite good.

Reply to
Car Guy

I bought an '05 SE model and noticed that only the XLE models had Michelins. The LE and SE models had Bridgestones. Don't know what people think of Bridgestone, but I don't think much of them, so I insisted the dealer change the tires on my new SE to a pair of Michelins that were on an XLE. They did so, including the spare, balanced all 5 tires, and ate the cost of the labor.

I've had a good history with Michelins, and I figure that if they only come on the top of the line XLE models, they must be a better tire than the Bridgestones. Maybe not, but I feel better with the Michelins anyway. And I guess it shows that some dealers will do whatever it takes to close a sale.

have

tires

(60,000

Reply to
David

I originally had Energy LX4 tires on my 2002 Camry LE V6

. I found them to be pretty good and they have great build quality.

Reply to
Car Guy