Grinding Noise when starting

I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out what is wrong with my 1988 Toyota truck. Just recently when I turn on the truck, it makes a short grinding (or grating noise). The noise only lasts for a few seconds, and then the truck runs fine. Although it is a '88 truck, it only has 26,000 miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Reply to
MEHM

You may have some worn gear teeth on the starter or flywheel. Does it always do it or just sometimes?

Reply to
bbtaco

Thank you for taking the time to write. The grinding just starting, but it is now happening everytime I start it. This is sounding very expensive!

Reply to
MEHM

I would have the battery and charging system checked. I know Autozone and Advance Auto stores will check it for free. Check for loose or corroded cables. Make sure the starter is not missing any bolts (You can have someome crank the truck while you are watching the starter to see of there is any movement). Of course while not standing directly in front, just in case. :) Has the starter ever been replaced? If it's the starter, I would have whoever replaces it visually check all of the teeth on the flywheel while they are at it.

Reply to
bbtaco

You could have a loose starter which would let the starter nose and/or gear grind on flywheel or the starter drive gear may be sticking. Check for loose starter and if that's not it I'd remove starter and bench test. If it is a sticking drive gear it will damage flywheel to the point it will have to be replaced. If you remove starter check flywheel teeth to ensure they are ok and flywheel isn't loose or gear ring isn't loose on flywheel. Flywheel teeth can have a little damage on the leading edge before they have to be replaced. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
Wolfgang

^agreed

Prolly loose, my 81 used to loosen up from time to time.

Reply to
Tercel GTS

Reply to
Malcom Gillette