Harder and harder to start

Tell me what you think...

'99 Mercury Mountaineer, V-8 5.0L engine, 98K miles.

Lately she's been getting harder and harder to start. As in not REAL hard, but she cranks for a good 2 seconds before she catches. Once running, no problems. No recent changes in engine performance or MPG's. But, gradually and consistently taking longer to start, in all conditions. Battery's real strong, so that's not it.

I've put in new double platinum spark plugs, had the fuel filter changed, had the local shop perform a fuel-injector cleaning service, replaced the air filter, cleaned out the throttle body (it had the sticky accelerator pedal problem which is now cleared up), put in some fresh Mobil 1 5W-30 and a new filter.

I even bought her some new tires then told her how pretty she looks...

No change.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Eeyore

Spark plug wires?

Reply to
Captain Coleman

A couple to start with. Check fuel pressure at your rack after you turn the key on. The fuel pump should run and pressurize the rack before you start the vehicle. Also, try to get some resistance measurements on your injectors. Maybe you've got an injector that's starting to go faulty. Resistance measurements should be listed in any DIYers repair manual.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

had a real similar problem with 2000 V8, 79000 miles.

dealer replaced fuel pump, and possibly some fuel line.

fortunately, it was under extended warranty.

'99 Mercury Mountaineer, V-8 5.0L engine, 98K miles.

Lately she's been getting harder and harder to start. As in not REAL hard, but she cranks for a good 2 seconds before she catches. Once running, no problems. No recent changes in engine performance or MPG's. But, gradually and consistently taking longer to start, in all conditions. Battery's real strong, so that's not it.

I've put in new double platinum spark plugs, had the fuel filter changed, had the local shop perform a fuel-injector cleaning service, replaced the air filter, cleaned out the throttle body (it had the sticky accelerator pedal problem which is now cleared up), put in some fresh Mobil 1 5W-30 and a new filter.

I even bought her some new tires then told her how pretty she looks...

No change.

Any ideas?

Reply to
stevie

Some people have said this can be caused by the fuel check valve and or line that's inside the tank deteriorating. My 92 periodically does the same thing. It will do it for a few months and then it goes away. I had a shop check the fuel pressure, etc and they said the pressure was OK and could only suggest a new fuel pump based on the possible check valve issue. For $500 I decided to wait.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If you have up to 40 PSI of fuel pressure and no codes from your computer try and pull the plug on the TPS. A bad TPS, no power shot of fuel on start up, can make it hard to start. By pulling the TPS plug the computer will automatically revert to failure mode and give you your shot of fuel for start up. Just like the accelerator pump in a carburated engine. Check for codes and be sure the battery is good with clean terminals. Good luck,

Reply to
Ron B.