1993 FOX Cranks, catches, but won't run.

I have a 1993 FOX 1.8 that will crank and fire but will not run. Catches but will not stay running.

New battery, alternator, coil, plugs, fuel pump, etc...

Any ideas? Fuel pump is delivering fuel.

Reply to
1993_FOX

Maybe

  1. ign switch
  2. relay to power ECM
  3. Fuel Pressure Regulator
  4. Manifold boot to Air Flow Box/Meter (massive vacuum leak)
  5. Timing Belt with broken teeth

I think #4 or #1

BTW your Fox should have a transfer fuel pump and a main fuel pump.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I have a new ignition switch and a new timing belt. Thjis thing was running like freakin brand new before it shut down. I just put in a new distributor and it does the same thing. Except now I have found that if I hold the key in the start position it stays running! What the hell?!

Maybe the secondary fuel pump (out of tank)?

Thanks

Reply to
1993_FOX

relay to ECM? What is this? I have reviewed my Bently and tried the tests but found it mostly confusing for the didifant.

Reply to
1993_FOX

I had installed an aftermarket ign switch in my '91 Passat and it lasted about 1 week. So this is a brand new ign switch that was installed AFTER this problem occured and it did not solve your problem?

I have a new ignition switch and a new timing belt. Thjis thing was running like freakin brand new before it shut down. I just put in a new distributor and it does the same thing. Except now I have found that if I hold the key in the start position it stays running! What the hell?!

Maybe the secondary fuel pump (out of tank)?

Thanks

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

oops that is right, cross out #3. :-)

I am not up on the '93 Fox but do you have a repair manual with the wiring diagrams? Start checking for power from the ign switch and follow it.

Also you can probably check out the Fuel Injection sensors and wiring at the ECM plug.

relay to ECM? What is this? I have reviewed my Bently and tried the tests but found it mostly confusing for the didifant.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I know the 88 model is somewhat different, but here's my experiences. Same symptoms. Found engine was actually flooding, not starved for fuel. Happened in 2 entirely different occasions/years. Once it was the thermo-time switch, the 2nd time it was the temp sensor. If the engine is actually flooded, look for something along these lines.

Reply to
Dioclese

Strongly suggests the ignition switch is (still) bad!

Reply to
PeterD

I have a new switch coming from VW, for some reason it is $8 when I paid $20+ for the BWD from a parts store. Another switch install, what a drag. Just tired of working on this thing now, I want to drive it for 5 years before I touch it again. When these cars sit they die, when you try to bring em back to life it seems as though everything wants to fail. I have over $1500 in receipts from the parts stores.

Reply to
1993_FOX

NO install needed to test! Just unplug the old switch and plug into the new switch. Use a screwdriver to turn new switch to see if problem is cured. Might take you 5-10 minutes to test. ;-)

Post results!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1