Help with Ford Explorer Sport 98

Hey, I have a Ford Explorer Sport 1998 40,000 miles. The other day the check engine light on. The only strange thing that has been happening is when I start the truck up, it chugs as if it wants to stall. It doesn't stall, but then the engine revs up as if I was gunning the gas. I took the car in but the Ford Dealer didn't know what was wrong, and couldn't "pull the codes" from the engine light. So, I'm turning you guys! Any suggestions????

thanks Mike

Reply to
Pongo955

I would suspect the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) that regulates the egine idle speed. It is in the intake airstream and is a metal casting roughly 6-8" long that has an electrical connection on the side. With time it gets dirty and the valve sticks. It is a bit costly to replace ($80?) but you may have some success cleaning it if you take it off. Pay attention to the rod that actuates the valve and try and get the buildup off that.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

"P> Hey, I have a Ford Explorer Sport 1998 40,000 miles. The other day the

check engine light on. The only strange thing that has been happening is when I start the truck up, it chugs as if it wants to stall. It doesn't stall, but then the engine revs up as if I was gunning the gas. I took the car in but the Ford Dealer didn't know what was wrong, and couldn't "pull the codes" from the engine light. So, I'm turning you guys! Any suggestions????

Reply to
<vhklein