Help with vehicle choice.

We have our second child coming and I am thinking of selling my 90 Mustang and 89 F-150 to get something I can drive and take the kids if I want. (Know we go in my wife's 99 Malibu).

I drive about 50 miles a day during the week. I have been thinking of a FOrd Escape or something used. I really would miss having a truck that I can haul things around but I have a trailer I could pull.

Someone told me that there was not much difference in gas mileage between the "small" SUv's such as the escape and the "large" ones like the explorer or expedition. Is this true?

Whatever I get I would like to get 4 wheel drive, something decent on gas, reliable and that I could either haul stuff in or pull a trailer if needed. I will have to buy used and a cheap price is important.

ANything would probably get better than my truck in gas mileage. It gets about 13 city or highway.

I actually hate to part with my mustang. I have had it for 12 years. If I put it on cruise control I can average 20-21 mpg.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Don

All I can tell you is that my '96 Explorer EB with 4 liter V6 gets just under 20 mpg highway, and about 14-15 mpg city. The 20 mpg figure is when I use the cruise control, and stay within 3 -5 mph of the speed limit. If I don't use my cruise control and/or if I don't pay attention to the speed limit (like 10-15 mph over), then I'm lucky to get much more than 17 mpg highway.

I live in central WA, and my wife and I drove down to Redding, CA over the Labor Day weekend. We had the A/C on maybe 60% of the time. If you've driven out here, you know this is a mountainous region...we crossed the Cascades and the Siskiyous...and got 19.8 mpg. That is pretty darned good for this vehicle.

I know people with Expeditions who barely get 16 on the highway. I don't know anyone with an Escape. You might post this message on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts website,

You can also search through their voluminous message database, where you will probably find the answer to your question. Personally, I'd put a roof rack on the Mustang and strap the newborn to it. Those racks can take up to 100 lb, so you'd be good for a few years! :)

Good luck! Kevin

Reply to
Kevin DeAngelis

Just traded in my '00 Expedition (sadly, I loved this truck even after 151k miles) for a '02 Explorer for a couple of reasons. 1. 100+ mile commute each day, 2. bought a motorhome that I need a tow vehicle for, 3. have 2 Goldens, 4. have a small utility trailer and small boat. All this coupled with the 14mpg (at best) from my Expedition, and now just about 20 from the Explorer, it seemed the right way to go. Still needed an SUV, just not that big. BTW, AWD Escapes considering the size difference, aren't that much of a better deal (IMHO)

Ken '2002 XLS

Reply to
knagy389us