how many shocks

It appears that my Explorer has 6 shock absorbers, 2 for each rear wheel, and 1 for each front wheel. Is this correct?

Should all 6 be replaced at one time? Should I use the same type of shock for each wheel?

I don't think I need them yet, but when I replace, what is the best kind for a replacement? I have 2WD and do not off-road.

Thanks

2000 Ltd 5.0 V8 54500 miles 2WD, auto trans.
Reply to
stevef

That doesn't sound right! You should have at most 5 shocks. One at each corner, with the 5th shock mounted from the axle to the frame for lateral stability. I'd say the Monroe Sensa-Trac or Reflex would be a good choice for your application. I have Monroe on my '97 Eddie Bauer and Bilstein on my '98 Sport. The Bilstein are definitely stiffer, but are more expensive.

Reply to
Xx