How many Hondas have you owned?

I recently got to thinking about the Hondas I've owned and how the cars have changed over the years. When I bought my first one, Hondas had a well-earned reputation for high reliability and economy coupled with innovative engineering. I still have trouble believing that a top-of- the-line Civic is now a $20K+ car - it wasn't that long ago that fully- loaded Accords barely breached that price.

Hondas I've owned:

82 Prelude, bought in late 1986 to replace a '76 Plymouth Duster whose frame had cracked. I'd gone to a few dealers hoping to find a clean Civic 1500 S, but there were none to be had, and a salesman convinced me to test-drive a Prelude instead. An uninsured driver drove right through a red light in 1990, and I t-boned him at about 30mph, totaling my car less than a month after I'd had the engine completely rebuilt.

83 Accord sedan - bought for $400 in 1992 when I was short of cash but also needed a beater for the times when my usual two-wheeled transport (another Honda, a CB750F) wouldn't suffice. The engine wouldn't rev above 3000rpm without starting to stutter and then die completely. It was fine on city streets, but was unsafe to drive on the freeway. Drove it for about six months as it was and sold it for what I paid for it.

80 Accord sedan - bought in 1993 for $500 for my wife, as a short-term replacement for her VW Rabbit that was totaled by yet another red-light- running uninsured driver. I wish I still had this car - it was in that distinctive shade of light metallic green that was a popular factory paint color with Hondas then.

86 Accord LXi hatchback - bought in early 1995 for my wife. Owned until

2003 with the only major problem being a broken (5-speed manual) transmission that required replacement with a rebuilt one. Still ran well when we sold it, but the AC had quit working a couple of years previously, and as it was 17 years old she decided she'd rather have a newer vehicle with fewer maintenance issues.

90 CRX Si - bought in 1993 with roughly 20K miles on it. Still my daily driver, with just over 126K miles now. Like the 86 Accord, at nearly 17 it's started to have an increasing number of age-related problems that I'm either going to have to address soon or decide to buy a new car (probable suspension rebuild, AC quit working a year ago, a couple of patches of rust on the A-pillar and sunroof, some original rubber parts decaying, and other cosmetic issues). My favorite out of all the Hondas I've had.

99 Accord EX V6 sedan - bought in 2003 as a replacement for our 86 Accord. Just recently passed 90K miles, and hope to continue driving it for many more years (keeping my fingers crossed on the well-known transmission issues). Plenty of room, very comfortable in the European sense (stiffer suspension than many other Japanese or American sedans), more than adequate power for almost every situation.

Hondas I'd like to own: I'd really like to keep the CRX and completely rebuild it into a serious weekend hot rod (suspension and braking upgrades and an engine swap for a tuned, naturally-aspirated B-series motor in the 250HP range). Replacing it for a daily driver would be a new Fit Sport (the true successor to the older-generation Civics), but I don't see that happening until the supply increases enough to where they're commonplace on dealer lots and better deals are being made.

I'd also like to restore a 1st- or 2nd-gen Civic. These used to be plentiful, but now you hardly ever see one on the street. And every time I sit in an S2000, I want one, but then reality sets in after I remember the price tag. Beautiful cars, but like the new Civics, I always start thinking of what else I could get for the same amount of money or less.

So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to own?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Nice history, Dave.

I have just my 1991 Civic LX sedan, bought new. I think in a few years, I sure would like a low mileage c. 1990 CRX, 'cause I could work on it myself and keep my gas bills low. But I doubt I can find one with under 100k in my area. I will probably buy a new Fit/Jazz or Toyota Yaris when my 91 Civic's engine or body gives up the proverbial ghost.

Reply to
Elle

4 so far. 1984 Accord 1992 Accord 2002 Accord 2006 CRV

The last 3 are still in the family.

Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce Chastain

snip

#1 - 1976 CVCC Civic. Ran it until it totally rusted out at 160K

#2 - 1979 CVCC Civic station wagon. The worst Honda I ever owned. Had a lot of concealed abuse by the previous owner. I almost had it crushed just so no one else would experience its horror but then I received a good offer to sell as a part car.

#3 - 1983 Honda Civic FE. Currently on lay-up until a minor title issue gets resolved. Averages 41 mpg in mixed driving

#4 - 1982 Honda Civic ? (four speed) bare bones car purchased for $200 as a parts car for the '83 FE. Damned thing just runs too good to relegate it to disassembly. In use daily for perhaps the next year.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

'78 Accord Hatchback '86 Civic Hatchback '88 Accord LXi '05 CR-V SE

Reply to
News

First one I ever drove was a 86 Accord LX-i four door 5 speed. Belonged to a good friend, and I loved it from the first second in it. Bought a 88 Accord DX 5 speed (new), maroon, for the wife. Wife drove it till I found a REAL NICE 86 LX-i for her that she loved. Sold the 88 DX for more than I owed on it after two years. Bought an 87 DX Accord hatchback 5 speed about a year later for myself with about 90K on it and learned about leaking water pumps and timing belts. Drove the car 25,000 miles a year for three years. Traded the 87 DX for a 89 Black Prelude with low miles on it. Found out much later that the car was a wreck repair . The front was a black car, the rear was a red car. Road like a hay wagon, and had some water leaks. Traded the 'Lude on my present Accord in mid September of '92. It was a new 92 Accord LX two door five speed White with blue interior. Currently

235k on it and the rust is starting to brake my heart. I find myself looking at '92 and '93 White two door Accords for sale on the WWW. Can't remember when, but traded the wife's 86 for a 89 SE-i Bronze beauty. She drove it till about three years ago. She wanted a nice new car, so I let her pick one out. She chose a 03 Mazda ProtÈgÈ 5 in BRIGHT YELLOW. She loves it, and people tell her how cute it is all the time. Now the kids. Found a Civic hatchback for the first son when he started driving. had it about a year, and sold it for more than I paid for it. Found a nice 84 Accord SE-i for him that he drove back and forth to Ohio University till an idiot smashed into it and I got him a 89 Accord LX four door that he drove for four more years till he bought a three year old 98 Accord two door green that he has now Second son got a 84 Accord LX when the started driving. I learned about leaking carb floats on that one. When that car rusted out, the next door neighbor was selling a 86 Civic wagon, brown. He drove that one till the clutch and head both went out. I sold it "as is" and found him a 90 DX Accord two door ,red from a co-worker. He put about three or four years on it, and I sold it and found him a nice '93 Accord LX two door in Maryland last year. Sister #1 has had a 86, 89 and 98 Prelude (all red ones). Sister #4 had a nice "89 Accord LX-i two door in light green for a while. Mom bought a 95 Accord new , and after she died in '03, my brother across town got it. I think that's it. bob
Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob
  1. 1967 65cc motor bike.

  1. Uncertain year used 305cc motorcycle (owned in early 70's)

  2. 1979 4dr Accord - first year for the sedan. After plunking down a .00 deposit, and choosing between the two available colors (Silver and Maroon), and the two avalable options (air conditioning and better radio/cassette), I waited 6 months for it to arrive. Got totalled in a rear ender sandwich in 1985 with 125,000 miles on it. ;-)

  1. 1986 Acura Integra 4dr hatchback (first registered Acura owner in Rhode Island).

  2. 1989 4dr Accord LXI

  1. 1999 Craftsman mower with Honda engine.

  2. 2003 4dr Accord EX

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

Dave Garrett wrote in news:MPG.1fd1249a871c7d998a120@

207.14.116.130:

Just one.

I bought my '91 Integra because Toyota in '91 didn't have anything I wanted, and the Integra's styling was way cool to this 3-time Corolla owner.

Still got the 'Teg. 278,000 miles.

The good Lord willin', she'll be my daily driver for many years to come. One day I wanna be in a Honda ad with my million-mile Integra.

Reply to
Tegger

Started in Tokyo in 1967 with a 305cc CL 77 scrambler and replaced it with a

68 350 I shipped to the States. Remember seeing the CB 750 for the 1st time in Dec 68 at the Tokyo motorshow -- a real show stopped and amazing for the time. 1970 CB 750 (cost less than the Triumph Bonneville I had before which was stolen by a bunch of local thugs -- Harley riders) 1973 CB 750 1978 750F -- a shared experience I see and also my last motorcycle. 1989 Civic 1990 Integra 1992 Accord LX 5 spd 1999 Accord LX 5 spd 1999 Accord EX auto (wife's) 2001 Prelude 2003 Pilot (wife's) 2006 Accord coupe I4 auto

own?

Reply to
tww

In 1971, I bought one of the first Hondas ever imported into the United States. Most people at that time had never heard of a Honda car. Outside of California, they were not generally available.

That car was about $1,300 new.

Since then, I've had four, if you include our current Acura TL. I've also had a lot of other cars...

Reply to
Larry in AZ

"Dave Garrett" wrote in message news:MPG.1fd1249a871c7d998a120@207.14.116.130... |I recently got to thinking about the Hondas I've owned and how the cars | have changed over the years. When I bought my first one, Hondas had a | well-earned reputation for high reliability and economy coupled with | innovative engineering. I still have trouble believing that a top-of- | the-line Civic is now a $20K+ car - it wasn't that long ago that fully- | loaded Accords barely breached that price. | | Hondas I've owned: | | 82 Prelude, bought in late 1986 to replace a '76 Plymouth Duster whose | frame had cracked. I'd gone to a few dealers hoping to find a clean | Civic 1500 S, but there were none to be had, and a salesman convinced me | to test-drive a Prelude instead. An uninsured driver drove right through | a red light in 1990, and I t-boned him at about 30mph, totaling my car | less than a month after I'd had the engine completely rebuilt. | | 83 Accord sedan - bought for $400 in 1992 when I was short of cash but | also needed a beater for the times when my usual two-wheeled transport | (another Honda, a CB750F) wouldn't suffice. The engine wouldn't rev | above 3000rpm without starting to stutter and then die completely. It | was fine on city streets, but was unsafe to drive on the freeway. Drove | it for about six months as it was and sold it for what I paid for it. | | 80 Accord sedan - bought in 1993 for $500 for my wife, as a short-term | replacement for her VW Rabbit that was totaled by yet another red-light- | running uninsured driver. I wish I still had this car - it was in that | distinctive shade of light metallic green that was a popular factory | paint color with Hondas then. | | 86 Accord LXi hatchback - bought in early 1995 for my wife. Owned until | 2003 with the only major problem being a broken (5-speed manual) | transmission that required replacement with a rebuilt one. Still ran | well when we sold it, but the AC had quit working a couple of years | previously, and as it was 17 years old she decided she'd rather have a | newer vehicle with fewer maintenance issues. | | 90 CRX Si - bought in 1993 with roughly 20K miles on it. Still my daily | driver, with just over 126K miles now. Like the 86 Accord, at nearly

17 | it's started to have an increasing number of age-related problems that | I'm either going to have to address soon or decide to buy a new car | (probable suspension rebuild, AC quit working a year ago, a couple of | patches of rust on the A-pillar and sunroof, some original rubber parts | decaying, and other cosmetic issues). My favorite out of all the Hondas | I've had. | | 99 Accord EX V6 sedan - bought in 2003 as a replacement for our 86 | Accord. Just recently passed 90K miles, and hope to continue driving it | for many more years (keeping my fingers crossed on the well-known | transmission issues). Plenty of room, very comfortable in the European | sense (stiffer suspension than many other Japanese or American sedans), | more than adequate power for almost every situation. | | Hondas I'd like to own: I'd really like to keep the CRX and completely | rebuild it into a serious weekend hot rod (suspension and braking | upgrades and an engine swap for a tuned, naturally-aspirated B-series | motor in the 250HP range). Replacing it for a daily driver would be a | new Fit Sport (the true successor to the older-generation Civics), but I | don't see that happening until the supply increases enough to where | they're commonplace on dealer lots and better deals are being made. | | I'd also like to restore a 1st- or 2nd-gen Civic. These used to be | plentiful, but now you hardly ever see one on the street. And every time | I sit in an S2000, I want one, but then reality sets in after I remember | the price tag. Beautiful cars, but like the new Civics, I always start | thinking of what else I could get for the same amount of money or less. | | So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to | own? | | Dave | My first Honda was a Lime Green 1975 Honda Civic. It was the four speed and it got 30 mpg in town and on the highway. No air conditioning, but the ventilation was pretty good. No problem in California, but pretty sweaty in Key West Florida. My second Honda was a 1984 Accord. I had ordered a 1983 and was on the waiting list (sound familiar?) when the dealer said I could have a 1984 for the same price as the 1983. My third Honda would be a Honda Fit if it wasn't for the short supply.
Reply to
Don in San Antonio

Larry in AZ wrote in news:Xns9885B29909CD0thefrogprince@69.28.173.186:

That was pretty inexpensive. My dad's 1970 Ford Custom 500 (low-end Galaxie) cost $2,200 new, and his was totally base outside a trailer-towing package and the 351W engine.

I've never seen the 600 from the rear, so thanks for the pic. Looks like it had a US-style single red lamp for tail/brake/signal, no? I wonder what they did for the UK market, which required amber signals from 1965.

Reply to
Tegger

But the new Civics are larger and more powerful than the old Accords!

87 Accord sedan 4 stick (should have traded for a Prelude mid-90's, and/or the Accord coupe circa 1998, but hadn't yet discovered the wonders of leasing) 99+ Acura CL Coupe 6 auto 2004 Accord sedan 4 auto 2007 Accord sedan 4 auto

Wouldn't mind an RL, especially if they ever drop a V8 into it (and someone drops an extra $50k into my bank account), would probably prefer the TSX to my Accord, but the premium fuel requirement puts me off, and I'd even more like to own and ride some of the two-wheel Hondas, but probably never will, sigh. For that matter, I'd like the Civic Si sedan, but I'd probably end up spinning and totalling it the second I actually put my foot into it. Never have trusted myself with anything seriously fast on the road, and would want a better weight distribution if I did.

Looking forward to the 2027 Accord with 100% auto-navigation, you nap in the back while it takes you where you're going.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

JXStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not likely, unfortunately.

A Honda V8 would be really something, but it looks like they're going to stall at a 3.5L V6. Too bad.

I prefer Honda's early-'90s high-tech approach to their current enviro/safety angle.

Reply to
Tegger

First Honda car I ever saw was in Oakland Califiornia. It was a three wheeler that looked like a cross between a motorcycle and a car. I think this was around 1971 or 1972.

My first Honda car was a 1975 CVCC Civic that cost $3.500 out the door. I can remember driving an earlier model while mine was in for maintenance. I think it was a 1974 Honda that had the worst torque steer I've ever felt. I was amazed at how much improved my 1975 was over this earlier model.

My next Honda was a 1984 Accord that cost me $10,500 with tax and license. I had ordered a 1983, but the model year changed while I was on the waiting list and I was offered the chance to buy a 1984 for just $300 more.

I made a visit to my local Honda dealership today, looking for a Honda Fit but there wasn't one on the lot. While I was there I checked out the Civics and Accords. The Civics are selling for around MSRP and the Accords are selling for around $2000 below MSRP. I think the Accords are discounted because this is the last model year for that design.

Reply to
Don in San Antonio
1974 Civic CVCC,used

1977 Accord HB,new;had paint blister problem,also wiped a cam lobe and not covered under warranty,IMO,it should have been covered.

1982 Accord HB,new

1986 Prelude SI,new great car,paint did not last long under the Florida sun;clearcoat degraded fast.

1990 Prelude SI,140HP motor(not the lesser SI2.0 motor),new;damaged by hail and never the same after

1994 Integra 3drHB GSR,new. both rear side window frames(trim) warped outward at rear corner;looks to be common,after examining other Integras.

I wish Honda had not stopped making the Prelude,the last model was nice.

Currently,Honda/Acura makes NO auto that I would own.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My first Honda was a 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 Sedan, which I got new and leased for 3.5 years. My second Honda was a 2002 Honda Civic EX Sedan Auto, which I also leased to replace the Accord 99'. Now I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan Auto. So far all have been great cars.

The 99' Accord had a transmission brake switch problem that had to be replaced 2 times and the car also started to knock at about 36k miles even with using quality fuel.

The 2002 Civic had a trunk latch that was defective from the factory and had to be replaced after having had it attempted to be repaired a couple of times. Then soon before I traded it in the complete heating system (fan and all components) had to be replaced due to a major defect.

The 2005 Accord has been the best so far. The only thing that was wrong so far is that the console hinge needed to be replaced due to a faulty hinge which made the second level half open at times.

Al

Reply to
alfred

Yeah I know already, just sayin'.

Of course I once lusted after a six-cylinder Alfa. Then they went and built (eg, imported) one, and I wouldn't touch it. WTH, my Accord I4 puts out more horsepower than that old 3-liter Alfa. Tech.

High gas prices, Honda proud of fleet mileage, RL not selling anyway, NSX forgotten - but it would let Acura hold its head up compared to Lexus and Infiniti, which it really doesn't, right now.

Imagine, if you will, the S2000 scaled up to compete with the Z8. They don't have to sell enough to ruin the fleet mileage.

Just waiting for the Honda Bots

And Honda Jets
J.

Reply to
JXStern

GTV6, Milano, or 164? I failed to mention that after my Prelude was totaled, I used the insurance money to buy a GTV6. A guy I knew had one, and once I drove it I knew I had to have one. It was a fantastic machine

- when it was running. I think it spent more time in the shop than it did on the road, and it was an early model to boot, so it had more than the usual share of Alfa problems. I can't say I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought it, but I'd had enough after a couple of years and sold it after having sunk more money than I care to remember into it.

I used to daydream about what I envisioned as the ultimate Honda: a mid- engine CRX with AWD and a 2-liter V8 that would rev to 10K+rpm.

Honda really was a different company back in the days when engineers actually ascended through the ranks to the highest levels of management.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

I sense a pattern here. :-)

I still have my 750F, although it's been in storage for six years and would take some effort to get running again. Yet another project I really need to tackle. It's an '81 that was modified considerably by its previous owner, a roadracer who used it as his streetbike. It has a big- bore kit to punch it out to 836cc, a Kerker 4-into-1, a Corbin Gunfighter seat matching the factory paint colors, tweaked carbs off a

900F with K&Ns, Superbike bars, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting right now. By modern standards it's overweight and slow, but it was plenty fast for me when it was my sole transportation for a few years.

I still want a CBX - saw this amazing custom one recently in a bike mag:

And if I ever win the lottery, an RC166 - still a near-unsurpassed engineering achievement forty years later, and still the most spine- tingling sound ever to emanate from anything on two wheels. Speaking of engine sounds, Honda's Japanese website has a very interesting section called "The Sound of Honda" where you can listen to many different Hondas (both street and racing, motorcycles and cars) running at speed:

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett